Chapter 50 (maybe a day off?)

Your POV

After everyone made sure their friends were okay, school was dismissed early again.  Adrien and I stood by the curb, about five feet apart. The car still hadn’t shown up.  “Looks like we’re going to have to just walk.” I said eventually. Adrien nodded. He walked past me without even a single word being said.  Ayla was still waiting, probably going to walk to the park or something. I cast her a glance before walking a few feet behind Adrien. Ayla had said Adrien just needed some time to think.  I didn’t know how that would be true. Maybe I’d just messed up one of my only friendships. I sighed softly, looking mostly down. I wished I’d never lashed out like I had towards Adrien. He wasn’t even saying a word now, making it way too quiet.  I took my phone out gently, pulling a pair of f/c earbuds out as well. I put on f/s (favorite song, what’s yours?) and turned the volume all the way up.  I set the song on a loop, just so I didn’t have to choose a different song.  I put my phone back in my pocket and used one hand to hold the strap on my f/c backpack.  It was actually fair Adrien was mad at me. I didn’t blame him. I kept walking, still looking at the ground.  Something grabbed my hand, roughly, pulling me forward. My eyes closed instinctively. My earbuds fell out. I landed on top of something.  “Y/n, are you okay?” A voice asked. I opened my eyes. What in the world had just happened? “Hey, are you two okay?!” Another voice asked.  I looked around. Adrien was under me. ‘Oh my god!’  I thought, getting off him quickly.  I felt my cheeks heat up instantly. “Yeah, we’re fine.”  The first voice said. Something grabbed my hand again. I looked over.  Adrien was just sitting there. “Are you okay? Didn’t you see that the light had changed?”  He asked. I looked around, seeing where we were now. Just a few feet away was the sidewalk.  Ohh, I must have not been paying enough attention. I didn’t even realize I was crossing the street.  A car must have been coming. “S-sorry.” I muttered. Adrien pulled me to my feet. “Oh my god, Adrien Agreste and Y/n L/n, are you sure you’re both okay?”  Someone asked. A red pickup truck was pulled over. Must have been what almost made me roadkill. The man talking must have been the owner of the vehicle. I nodded once.  I saw Adrien nod too. A few minutes after that, I still hadn’t said a word. ‘How could I have been so stupid?’  I thought.  How could I have almost gotten both Adrien and I killed?  “Y/n, what’s wrong?” Adrien asked. I felt tears running down my face.  I just shook my head. Sure, I should be happy Adrien was talking to me again.  But it was after I had nearly gotten the both of us killed.

What kind of person was I becoming?  “It’s okay y/n, really. You didn’t see the truck coming.  I don’t blame you.” Adrien insisted. I took a breath. Neither of us said anything, even when Adrien’s house appeared in front of us after a bit more walking.  It was quiet up the stairs. Silent while Adrien change. No sounds appeared when I was the one changing. Eating just followed the same route. This was awful. But I was the one not saying anything.  Adrien had tried to talk to me, but gave up after I didn’t respond to the first five or so attempts. Before, I had been trying to talk to him. Now it was the other way around. I know how he feels. Frustrated but worried that something really was wrong.  I sighed softly. Maybe things were never going to go back to normal between Adrien and I. But would I ever really know if I didn’t talk to him? “I didn’t mean to…” I said finally. Adrien sat up on his bed. I was just sitting on the couch. “What do you mean y/n?”  He asked. I took a breath. “I didn’t mean to almost get you killed.” I finished. I heard Adrien get off his bed and walk over to the couch. I half expected him to say something. But after a few moments Adrien still hadn’t said anything, like he was debating what to say or do.  I was surprised when Adrien sat next to me, putting both arms around me slowly. I half froze, but I let myself lean against Adrien slightly. “I know you didn’t mean for anything to happen y/n. I really don’t blame you.” He said softly. I felt myself nod. “I really didn’t mean to lash out like that…”  I muttered. My eyes watered slightly, blurring my vision again. No matter how many times I said it, it never felt like it was enough to actually make up for what I had done. Adrien chuckled lightly. “I know. You said that a couple times already. You don’t have to keep saying it.” He said in an assuring tone.  “I know… I just feel like it's not enough just to say ‘sorry’. Anyone can say that but then they don’t really mean it. But I do mean it.” I said. “I know you do.” Adrien said. A small yawn escaped before I could stop it. That battle must have taken more out of me than I had originally thought then. “Y/n, you should go to sleep.”  Adrien said quietly. His arms disappeared, leaving me to fall completely off of the couch. Adrien laughed as I sat straight up.

“Not funny.”  I grumbled, getting up.  Adrien took a breath. I sat back on the couch.  The light flicked off, Adrien. I pulled the pillow under my head and the cover up to my waist.  I touched my miraculous for a moment. Things have been so crazy. Hawkmoth was a complete terror, but it brought a group of five random people together as a team.  Ladybug, Rena Rouge, Chat noir and I may not be what you call ‘close friends’, but we trusted each other with our lives. That was what came with being part of a team, you had to learn to trust people at one point: or the team wouldn’t be able to communicate properly.  If I didn’t trust Ladybug, nobody would trust me. That would ruin the team dynamic. That would be our downfall. Chat noir and Ladybug have had their miraculous’ the longest, so they were in charge. Ayla and I had ours for the shorter amount of time. That meant we had to listen to LB and Chat.  Ayla and her for the least amount of time. She was the newest still. If Chat didn’t show up for a battle, Ladybug would take over the role of leader. If LB didn’t show up, that would fall to me. I didn’t like that very much. I could easily get someone hurt if I hesitated for too long. I shook my head lightly.  This was something I should talk to my teammates about next time we were all together again. But possibly not during a battle. Though it might make a Hawkmoth think we were falling apart at the seams. That would give us an advantage. Hawkmoth might start to think he could take us out separately. ‘If we could just…’  I started to think.  I waited about another hour, to make sure Adrien was asleep before sitting up and throwing the cover to the back of the couch.  Maybe Master Fu would be able to help out with this. It had been a while since I had seen him too. I snuck to the bathroom, closing the door lightly behind me.  I opened the window. Those shadows were going to be my friends tonight. “Yang, let’s darken!” I said quickly. I made sure the window closed behind me, but that it didn’t lock at the same time.  I didn’t want to make up a weird story to explain a broken window in the morning. I balanced on the window sill for a second before jumping onto a different roof. I headed towards Master Fu’s apartment complex.  It was quite peaceful. The silence helped me plan what I was going to say in a way that didn’t sound like I was just plain crazy.