.:23:. ~Bret's POV~

My heart leapt in my throat as she kissed me and I felt the sparks. There was a knock on the door and Angel pulled away but not the normal way when we were caught but slowly. I preferred it.

"Yes?" My voice was rough and I cleared my throat a little embarrassed but Angel was smiling slightly.

"Bret. I need to talk to you." I saw Angel flinch at the tone of his voice and I was immediately worried.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Go talk to him." I knew she didn't want me to spend all of my time with her. Probably because she could sometimes think so little of herself.

"Coming." I called to my Dad before kissing her on her forehead which she closed her eyes to. God she was amazing. I got up and headed straight for the door wanting to spend as little time as I could talking to him. I shut the door behind me and my Dad was there looking calm but I knew better.

"I heard that your human friend was here for the first time today and she wasn't exactly nice to Charlotte." He loved Charlotte.

"Actually it was the other way around."

"I can sense that you haven't marked her." I froze. Where was this getting at? "That's good because you are to become a mated pair with Charlotte." My jaw dropped. Hell no!

"No." I snarled and he looked shocked.

"It's best for the pack."

"Do you think I care?! I hate Charlotte! You can't force me into anything!" I couldn't keep myself from yelling.

"Bret Pierce you will do what I tell you to!" I snorted.

"No. But I can tell you where to shove it!" He pulled his arm back about to hit me across the face but a voice stopped him.

"Stop!" My Dad's gaze switched to her as he was caught in the act by the one person I didn't want to see it. "Leave him alone!" My Dad's eyebrows rose towards her. "If you hit him you'll be a monster!" I stepped in front of her to protect her if he got too pissed.

"Go back inside Angel." I warned her my gaze not leaving his.

"I can't watch you get hurt. It's bad enough my father's abusive. Yours shouldn't be." Her voice sounded hurt as she whispered and his face changed.

"Angel it's okay." I spoke softly turning to her and taking her head in my hands but not tight enough to squish her face. She sniffed and I kissed her forehead again. "You're still sick. Try to get some sleep." Her gaze moved from me to him and then back to me. She nodded quickly and I let go of her just before she turned around and walked back into my room. "I swear if you even go to touch her you'll regret it."

"I didn't know she was abused..."

"Leave her alone. I'm not leaving her for Charlotte either." I walked back into the room leaving him out in the hallway. He may have lost his mate but I wasn't planning on losing mine to anyone. She might not be perfect to others but she is to me.

**All Rights Reserved**