Chapter 1

Sameera's P.O.V.

I entered Singhania Studios office. It is one of the fastest growing design companies in the country currently. They work with garments, jewellery, interiors and they are the best in their field. Most of the big businesses persons and Bollywood celebrities wear clothes designed by their designers. And right now they are searching for new and inexperienced designers so here I am at their studio for interviewing for a post of Fashion Designer.

I never thought I would want to be a designer on my own. It was always my families' dream to see me become a designer. I was never much enthusiastic about it. But right now it is the only thing I know about and I am good at. So, to be able to pay my rents, I need a job as a fashion designer.

The moment I entered the building, my eyes first went towards the people working around big tables with laptops on their desks. Many of them were trying dresses on dummy models. Everyone was busy and many people were working in groups. There was a male model standing in front of a table and a few girls were around him trying different accessories on him to match with his dress.

On one side of a wall, on a big frame with bold letters was written, "Fashions fade, style is eternal,"  by Yves Saint Laurent. On the other one it was written, "Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak." I saw this quote even on their website. While in one of them Karl Lagerfeld was quoted, "Trendy is the last stage before tacky."

I was asked to report on the second floor. There was the same atmosphere. People were busy working around desks. But the only difference was there was less chaos since there were less people. They were working in a disciplined manner.

I went through a narrow passage on the same floor, there were glass doors on one side and I could see what was happening. There were large desks inside each one of them and men and women were working on designs and discussing them.

I went towards the interview room and sat outside with a few other girls and three boys. I sat for an hour after which my name was called and I went inside.

A man and a woman were sitting around one side of a large table and I sat on the opposite side.

After a brief round of introduction they began asking me questions.

"Why do you want to become a fashion designer?" The girl interviewer who earlier introduced herself as Vidya asked me after my introduction.

"From the very young age I was interested in fashion. I would follow many models and artists and would ask my parents to get the same dress for me. So my Dad told me that why do I copy someone. I should wear something unique. So I started designing dresses for myself. Dad loved them and he motivated me to choose it as my career." I answered remembering the good old time that I had with Dad.

"But Sameera, you are not qualified enough for this job. You don't even have a degree." The man who earlier introduced himself as Advait Khurrana pointed out the only thing I wish could have been ignored.

"Yes sir, I know I don't have any degree. But believe me I am really good and you can see in my resume that I have won many prizes in my fashion school." I spoke as politely as I could. Kriti would be proud of me.

"See Sameera, you didn't complete your fashion degree and you don't have any experience. How do you expect us to give you this job? In fact you attended college five years ago which you dropped and haven't worked ever since. We need something to be sure of the person we are appointing. Why don't you do one thing, complete your course and get back to us."

"If I could have completed my course I definitely would have." I explained.

"Sorry Sameera we can't offer you this job." He said with a sad face.