Race - George Russell

This one is based of the song Make Believe by The Faim. Listen to it if you can. It's a great song! This is also inspired by yesterdays race. I hope you like it!

''Where are you?' George asked.

'We couldn't land at first. I just landed,' you explained to George.

'Fuck,' he mumbled.

'I'm so sorry. I'm on my way. I'm going to be there as soon as possible, but I can't promise anything.'

'I know. It's the way it is,' George sighed. You, his girlfriend, were finally on your way to see him. You were supposed to be there in the afternoon, but your flight got delayed and then the plane couldn't land, which made it even worse. You just wanted to wish him good luck before he got into the Mercedes. Due to Hamilton getting sick, George got to drive his car. George was on top of his game all weekend, but he wanted you by his side. He wanted you there when he would grab that first point and maybe even win the race. It still sounded unreal to him.

'I'll be there as soon as I can. I love you. You can do this. Show them what you got, champ.'

A smile curled on George his lips. 'Thank you. I love you. I have to go now. I'll see you after the race,' George said.

'Good luck,' you said before hanging up the phone.

You rushed into the garage.

'Am I still on time?' You asked.

'You didn't miss much. George is leading the race. Verstappen and Leclerc are out,' an engineer filled you in.

You focussed your eyes on the screen. George's name was at the top of the list. Bottas was almost three seconds behind him. My god. He was really going for it. Today could be the day that he would get his first-ever podium.

The whole race, George had the lead. He was going to make it to the podium. He would get his first win. But then Mercedes made a mistake. They switched up the tires, which made George drop to P15. He had to pit twice. Not only was his win taken away from him, but now also his first points. There were eight laps left, and the change of George climbing back up was minimal. You had hope. George worked so hard for this, and he deserved his. At least one point. He deserved that one point. George made his way up to P10. He overtook Norris in the last lap, which made him P9. George also had the fastest lap, so he got three points. Three points instead of a podium. This was so unfair. It just wasn't fair. On the camera of the car, you could see how frustrated George was. Your heart broke, seeing him like this. He was so excited to finally show the world what he got. He would finally get that podium, but that was all taken away from him.

You sighed as you followed his trainer to the cars. George would be there. He had no idea if you were there or not. There was a group of people standing before you, waiting for George. You decided to wait. But when you saw him taking his helmet off, you just couldn't wait any longer. You made your way through the crowd and looked at George. He put off his balaclava, and his eyes met yours. You could see that he was getting emotional. You ran towards him and smashed your lips against his. For a moment, it was just like it was only the two of you. Nobody else excited. Nobody else mattered.

'I'm so sorry. You deserved that so much,' you said as you pulled back.

'You have seen the race?'

'I only missed the start and the first few laps,' you answered.

'I was so close, Y/N.'

'I know, babe. I know,' you said as you hugged him again.

George hugged you back, and you just stood there. Nobody interrupted you and bless them for that. You two just needed a moment.

'How about we go back to the hotel, and eat a ton of ice with a movie? You must be tired.'

'Yeah, that sounds nice,' George sighed. 'But I have to do interviews first and talk to the engineers and Toto.'

'That's fine. I'll wait. Take all the time that you need.'

'You're the best,' George said and kissed you again, before making his way over to the team.

After a long night, you finally got to the hotel.

'Can we do the ice cream and movie tomorrow? I just wanna cuddle and sleep,' George said as you walked into the hotel room.

'Of course.'

George hopped in the shower, and you changed into your pyjamas. You laid in bed and waited for George. Once he was done, he let himself fall down on the bed. His shoulders had bruises on them, but his knees and feet were the worst.

'You're not in pain?' you asked George.

'No, that'll come tomorrow. It'll be a tough week, but at least I'll be back in my own car probably.'

You turned on your side and looked at George. 'What if Lewis isn't better for the next race? Will you drive with Mercedes again if they ask you and Williams let you?'

'Yeah. The hunger for the podium is there now more than ever. And I could have won the race if they didn't make a mistake. Now I might even get disqualified.'

You looked at him in shock. 'They can do that? You didn't even make the mistake! Will they take the points from you?'

'If they disqualify me, then yes. They'll take the points away too.'

'My god. They better not do that.'

'We'll see. But if I get to drive in a Mercedes again, I will get the podium. Whatever it will take.'

'I'm proud of you either way,' you said and kissed George on his cheek. He yawned, which made you laugh.

'Lets sleep,' you said and turned off the light. You cuddled up against George.

'Good night, George.'

'Good night, babe,' he said and kissed you one last time before you went to sleep.