B.2 Chapter Two

I fix my uniform as we sit in a meeting.
Sir Quintan sitting at the end of the table reviewing documents.

"Xiao has reached out to ask us for advice. Since Xiao's officially become apart of his highness's ownership, they've asked to use our intelligence. We'll be a lot more busier, but I have faith in us. They've been having issues relating to a tax plan. The richer population of Xiao refuses to pay any kind of taxes since they never had to pay for it before. Ruler Canella has asked us personally to help, and his highness has agreed to loan us." Sir Quintan hands out the documents with information.
"We could just tax them, and anyone who rebels will be a fined." An advisor speaks up.
"That would be fine however, Ruler Canella and Queen Ming are newly appointed. Their crowning was only a few months ago, and if they make too many enemies of their own citizens, it would cause their favourability to decrease." Sir Quintan sighs.
"Do they have no advisors to turn to for this?" Another advisor speaks up.
"They have advisors, but a majority of them are the ones who'll be taxed. Their families would cause trouble, and could become enemies."
"The advisors refuse for what reason?"
"They believe they do enough work that they should be exempt from paying taxes in total. They think taxes are a fraud just so the poor can have an easy life, receiving benefits off their income ." Sir Quintan taps his pen against the document.
"How ludicrous. They see no issue with taxing the poor and using the poor's taxes as pocket change, but will throw tantrums if they're taxed? Do they have health coverage?"
"Not necessarily. The way it is now, they pay depending on their injuries. The taxes the poor pay go towards land, and benefits to reduce the cost of medical bills. If the taxes that are paid become larger than what the poor pays, medical bills would be free for all citizens since their hospitals would have enough funds to give free treatments. It's one large reason why Ruler Canella wishes to find a way to tax the wealthy. Her citizens are currently paying more than 60% of their pay for taxes, but the medical fees would bankrupt the citizens if they pay for that as well, even with the benefits they currently receive."
"What about luxury taxes?" An advisor speaks up.
"Luxury taxes?"
"Cypheler has a luxury goods taxes in place, couldn't we attempt to do that in Xiao?"
"I see what you mean, but it would be impossible. It says here that 73% of the population is made up of low income citizens. Xiao is considered a prestigious kingdom because of their warriors, but an abundance of luxury goods have yet to take over the kingdom. Even if we do turn to luxury taxes, the pay out would be small and won't be enough. Most of the wealthy families send for an order from other kingdoms, and mostly from Cypheler at the moment."
"We could open up luxury stores." I speak up.
All eyes turn to me, confused.
"Open luxury stores?"
"Yes. We could find businesses in Cypheler, and find owners who wish to expand their business to Xiao."
"Hm, I see but if we found luxury stores to expand, it would cost more to ship everything, and the owners would want a majority of the income."
"That's why we should search the lower districts. With all due respect, luxury doesn't only reside in certain districts. There will be high end goods being sol in the lower district and we can take use of that. The owners won't be greedy in the beginning and would be patient until steady income comes in. It would cost less to ship them since they technically aren't considered 'luxury goods' just yet. It'll give our citizens more income, and Xiao could introduce taxes with luxury taxing if more wealthy families decide to buy inside Xiao."
"I see. We could, but how are you certain we could make profit if it's a store from our lower district?"
"The lower district has businesses that have amazing quality goods, but they don't have the knowledge to expand in order to make more money. Most nobles refuse to go down to the lower district since they have all they need provided in the higher districts. If we help those smaller businesses expand, Xiao can tax for luxury goods and since the owners of the stores will be Cypheler citizens, they'll still have to pay for taxes in our empire. If their income increases in Xiao, their taxes owed will increase too. Everyone will make a profit, and it could help the people who are in poverty in our empire."
"It's brilliant. What does everyone else think?" Sir Quintan asks.
"That could work. Once the luxury taxes are implemented, it could teach the wealthy population there about what taxes are, and that it's not robbery." An advisor nods, writing on his notepad.
"Get on it then, devise who will find contact information from businesses. Research which businesses have unique quality items, if it's anything close to poor quality, it won't qualify." Sir Quintan stands, dismissing everyone.

"Lady Luna, you're doing excellent lately!" An advisor kindly smiles, walking with me.
"It's only because I have the help of everyone." I smile back.
"Still, I have to admit, you've really proved me wrong! I assumed you'd find it difficult to keep up, but here you are!"
"Yes, it's a surprise for me as well." I giggle as he ecstatically speaks.

"What a sneaky plan." Cabel snickers, swirling the glass of whiskey in his hand.
"Sneaky how?"
I sit beside him on the sofa in his office, his arm around my shoulders.
"It'll help Xiao but it'll help Cypheler's economy. It's a sneaky plan you got there, maybe you're a scoundrel."
"Possibly but with this, everyone wins. It's a gamble though, we can't be certain if the wealthy population will even buy the products."
"I'll make them buy. I'll buy large masses of inventory from the best shops, and send them out to Canella. She can hand them out as gifts, and people can fall in love with the products and want to order more. We'll charge a high shipment fee if they try to get it shipped from Cypheler, but they'll still order if the products are great and rare. Finally, we'll announce their businesses will expand to Xiao to reduce the charge of shipping the items, but the prices will be increased for taxes."
"You sound far more of a scoundrel talking like that. You're trying to coax and trick Canella and Ming's advisors."
"Yes, but that's okay. The only people who won't experience any negative effect will be the shop owners. I'll make sure they don't get taxed for any profit made from my large purchasing until they have a steadier increased income."
"How kind of you." I giggle, taking a bite of cheesecake.
"I suppose we'll be scoundrels together." Cabel's hand smoothly glides down my back, moving to my waist.
"The only full blooded scoundrel here is you. Watch yourself." I roll my eyes, stopping his wandering hand.
"You don't have work the next few days though." Cabel kisses my forehead and cheek, until moving to kiss my neck.
"That doesn't mean it's an excuse to get overly excited." I chuckle, brushing his bangs to the side.
"But we're engaged, I'm in a blissful engagement period right now."
"Amusing, but I bet you're going to keep using that excuse until our wedding, and then it'll be the 'married bliss' excuse." I roll my eyes, grinning slightly.
"You know Lance said the same thing too." Cabel shrugs.
"Because it's true." I lean in, giving Cabel a light kiss.
"How mean."
"What is?"
"You're making me wish for more."
"Cabel..." I glare at him as his eyes seductively glow faintly.
"Give me a bit more, I won't go all the way."
"Promise?"
"Well for now. Tonight will be a different story." Cabel gives a handsome charming smile, one that reminds me of an excited dog waiting for a treat.
"You're ridiculous." I giggle, shaking my head slightly.
His slender fingers lift my chin up, his lips quickly pressing against mine as we deepen our kiss.