Chapter Twenty-Nine

(Trigger warning: Read at your own discretion.)
---------------------------

I sit in the royal library, sipping my tea.
I read through the pages of an ancient magic book. I freeze, reading a sentence that explains different descriptions of each ability.

"Cabel..." I whisper, reading a description.
"Shadow manipulator; Able to control any shadows, manipulating them at their wills to take on any form of what the manipulator wishes." I quietly read out loud.
I remember the memory Cabel shared, shadows erupting from his feet, impaling the knights.

"What are you reading?"
I jump, looking up to see Cabel walking up to me.
I quickly close the book, standing up.
"Oh, it was just a book on magic." I smile, looking up at him.
"Is there a reason why you chose that book?" He asks, his eyes glancing at the book cover.
"No, not at all. I'm just determined to read every book in the library!"
"I see." He smiles kindly, staring at my collection of books on the table.
"I'm hosting a spring ball in a few months. It's rather annoying to host these annually, but it'll surely be fun for you to experience it. Would you like to go?"
"Oh well of course, I'd love to attend!" I smile, slightly excited.
Cabel looks down at me with kind eyes.
"Luna-" He calls out, but is interrupted.

"Your highness!"
I look to see Lance running up behind him.
"What now?" Cabel sighs, annoyed.
"You ran off while finishing paperwork! You have a meeting with Duke Oslo soon, and you haven't completed the trades documents needed for today!" Lance sighs, exasperated.
Cabel looks back at me, slightly pouting.
"I suppose I'll see you soon." He gently speaks, his hand hesitating.
His hand raises, slowly cupping my cheek. My cheeks growing warm from his touch.
"I'm sure you will. Have a good day!" I give him a bright smile.
I laugh lightly as I watch Cabel walk away sulking.

The day goes by as I roam around the palace.
I walk down an area of the palace where no maids or government officials are. Down a small quiet hallway, are marble statues and gold framed oil paintings decorating the quiet hall.
I admire the detailing in the art and sculptures.
Noticing a small plain door in the hall, I open it. I peek inside to see a small windowless dark room, filled with statues and frames all covered with sheets.
Letting some light in, I leave the door cracked open.
I glance at the statues before removing a dusty sheet off a large painting.
It reveals an oil portrait. The previous king, the queen, and three little boys. I look at the portrait, astonished and confused.
"Cabel's brothers... What happened to the other one?" I whisper, remembering the memory exchange only showing the one brother, "Did he kill his other brother before he killed his parents?..."
I look closer, trying to see the faces of the boys.

"Ha! Don't be silly!"

I jump, hearing laughter and steps coming closer to the door.
Flinging the sheet back on top of the painting, I rush to hide behind a pile of boxes.

"Hm? Is someone in here?" A girl peeks in confused.
She opens the door more, staring in.
"Maybe it just wasn't closed properly. Come on, we need to get the sheets." Another girl giggles.
The door closes gently as they leave, I sigh a breath of relief.
The small dark room begins making me grow anxious as I look back at the creepy silhouettes of the statues. I quietly walk to the door.
I turn the handle, but it doesn't move.
I vigorously try turning the handle in multiple directions, pushing and pulling.
"It's locked..." I whisper to myself.
I grow afraid as I attempt pushing open the door. I ram my body into it, attempting to knock it down.
"Hello? Is someone out there?" I yell out.
I pound on the door as I call out.
"Hello! Can someone let me out?"

A cold chill rushes down my spine.
Slowly, I turn around.
I look back at the statues, the darkness causing their features to appear more creepy.
My heart pounds loudly, feeling my blood go cold. I look around the dark room, overcome with fear.
Flashbacks of lying on the stone dungeon floor, chained up, crosses my mind. The memories of watching my blood drip from my wrists, unable to move, with the only source of light entering from the cracks of the door.
I shake my head, attempting to calm myself from panicking.
Boxes in the back of the room, shift slightly.
I jump, noticing something move across the room, behind a statue.

"H-Hello?" I call out, feeling my heart beat a mile a minute.
I stare at the statue, holding my breath.
A deep raspy groan echoes through the small room. I begin hyperventilating, watching the figure step out from behind the statue.
I choke on my breath, looking back at the figure.

"Celeste... I suggest you stay still. It'll only hurt more if you fight it."
The familiar monotone voice I've heard before, calls out.
The sound if his voice, taking my breath away.
I hold my breath, watching the figure take a step closer. His face slightly illuminated by the light coming from under the door.
My brother, Micheal, smiles coldly.
I scream, pounding on the door.
"Help! Help! Let me out!" I scream as tears drip down my face.
"I told you to stay still." Micheal speaks deeply.
His hand covers my mouth as he grabs me from behind.

'This isn't real, this is just a dream!'
I repeat to myself, feeling my body shake from adrenaline.
I hold onto the door knob as hard as I can, continuing to scream into his hand.
He grabs me by my hair, pulling me away from the door as he throws me back.
I cry out as my back hits a statue. The statue shatters from the impact, the shards of marble falling on top of me.
Shocked by the pain, I'm unable to make a sound.
I cry, clenching my fists through the pain.

"My dear sister. You should have just had my child. We could have ruled a kingdom together." Micheal looks down at me with cold eyes.
He grabs my ankle, swiftly dragging me out from under the statue's pieces.
Jumping on top of me, he pins me down by the throat, choking me against the ground with one hand.
"Where were we before?" His voice coldly speaks.

'No... This isn't real, this isn't real!'
I think to myself.
I scratch at his arm, attempting to push him away. His other hand pushes up my dress skirt, ripping away the fabric.
Kicking my legs, my tears drip down my cheeks as I attempt to catch a breath.
I look back at Micheal, beginning to lose all of my strength. My mind growing light and numbed as I struggle to take a single breath.
Soon, I begin to surrender to the silent darkness calling out to me.