B.2 Chapter Nineteen

Emperor Cabel sits across Petunia, the room growing heavy.
Petunia takes a deep breath.
"... I'm able to see one's death." Petunia speaks up.
"Death?" Emperor Cabel's eyes widen as he looks back at her.
"Yes, your highness..."
"What do you mean by that?"
"These are powers I wish I never had... It's rare for anyone to receive an ability to read one's future, but somehow I've only been able to see deaths of those I touch..."
"And why would this be useful to me now?"
"Because... I worry for Lady Luna... I won't speak to anyone about what I see, but if you allow me to use my ability, I can tell you whether or not she's meant to die from this tragedy."
Emperor Cabel's eyes focus on Petunia, analyzing her expression and movements.
"You won't tell me what you see though?" He questions.
"Your highness, would you even want to know how the one you love dies?"
Emperor Cabel pauses, his brows furrowing.
"I have seen multiple deaths of people I care for. As a child my ability unlocked... When I was only six, I remember holding my mothers hand as we walked down the streets. That day was happy, it was fun... But when I held her hand, it happened... I saw the scene of men beating her... They robbed her, and broke her neck. I cried as soon as I saw it. I didn't know what that vision was, and I believed it was just my imagination, yet a few weeks went by and I saw it again... This time in person. We walked down the alleyway to our home and she paused. She quickly hid me behind some trash cans and whispered that she loved me. She told me not to cry, to cover my ears, close my eyes, and to not make a sound. I watched the exact scene unfold, the same one that I saw from that day I held her hand..." Petunia's eyes water, staring down at her gloved hands.
"I know the heartache of watching multiple loved ones face their ends. I've seen it all before it happened, and watched it happen in reality. I never knew when their deaths would be. It could've been instantly or years into the future, but the burden of knowing how they die and waiting for that day to come is insufferable... I've tried to prevent deaths but fate seems to hate such an idea... I've never successfully saved anyone, and all I can do is idly wait for their deaths... Such a burden is too heavy, and I can not in good conscious give that burden to your highness..."
Emperor Cabel pauses.
He takes a deep breath, staring out the window at the sky.
"I see..." He mutters.
"No matter how painful the burden will be, if you allow me, I'll use my powers to watch her death, but only if you promise to never ask for how she dies. I'll let you know if she's meant to die from these injuries, but if it has nothing to do with them, you must accept my word that she'll live past this."
Emperor Cabel thinks to himself, closing his eyes.
"Will you tell me how I'm meant to die?" He asks.
"Pardon me?" Petunia's eyes widen.
"I should test your abilities. If you tell me exactly how I'm meant to die, I'll allow you to use your powers on Luna." His eyes carefully watches her expression.
"I... I must decline then, your highness."
"And why is that?"
"Because... You are the one who allowed us to have a proper life now..."
"A proper life? Even though you kill and torture anyone I command you to?" Emperor Cabel raises his brow as a mocking grin grows on his lips.
"Yes... My hands have been bloodied more times than I can count, but the only time the blood never seems to wash off is when I use my abilities... You've given the boys their smiles back, and even mine." Petunia pauses, tilting her head as a gentle smile washes over her, "We've all been allowed to smile again. We no longer worry about where to find a secure place to stay, wondering if one of us will never come back... Your highness has given us a new life... We all care for Luna deeply, but we care about her because we care about you."
"Hm, you're beginning to sound sappy." Emperor Cabel scoffs.
"No matter how sappy, it's true. Jax and Cethin smile freely now. I watch them smile over silly things we never used to be able to waste our time on. Your highness is the one who's saved us from a life of emptiness. We pledged our loyalty to you because we knew you'd grant it for us. So, even though you've specifically asked us to guard Luna, we'll always guard you too. We care for Luna just as much as we care for your highness, and so I decline. The burden to know the deaths of the two people who have saved the boys and I, is a burden too heavy for me to carry."
Emperor Cabel quietly sits.
He chuckles, watching Petunia's concerned expression.
"I'll allow it." He stands, nodding.
Petunia's eyes widen, surprised.
"You swear you won't ask for any details?" Petunia asks.
"I swear on the life of my future child." He kindly smiles, "So please, let me know if I'll get her back."
Petunia nods, standing up.
She removes her leather glove from her hand, taking a deep breath.
She sits in a chair beside the bed.
Emperor Cabel removes Luna's arm from underneath the blanket, laying it gently on top of the soft comforter.
"Are you certain you want to know her death?" Emperor Cabel asks.
Petunia pauses, her hand hovering over Luna's hand.
"Seeing the fear and worry in those I care about, who wish to see her alive, is much more painful than knowing her death. If it'll help your highness grow more at ease, I'll gladly sacrifice myself." Petunia smiles gently, yet acceptingly.
Petunia's hand gently touches Luna's hand.
Instantly Petunia's eyes widen.
Her clear blue eyes glow vibrantly, with only a single teardrop rolling down her cheek.
Seconds pass until Petunia rips her hand away.
She pants, her expression pale as she holds her ungloved hand.

"What is it?" Emperor Cabel questions, worried.
Petunia's breathing pauses, her eyes slowly move to look back at the emperor.
She stares at his face before averting her eyes, blinking as tears fall down her cheeks.
"S-She will not die from this." Petunia exhaustedly speaks.
"She won't?"
"N-No, your highness."
A look of relief washes over Emperor Cabel, his hand moving to gently brush Luna's bangs.
He smiles, relieved as he admires her.
Petunia stands, tightening the glove back onto her hand.
"You've done well. For experiencing something so cruel, I'll gift you with anything you wish for." Emperor Cabel turns to look at Petunia.
She pauses, shaking her head,
"There's no need, your highness." Petunia bows her head, hiding her trembling hands.
"Name anything you want. You can think about it for now, and come tell me another time what you want."
"Y-Yes, your highness, thank you... Well then, I'll take my leave and inform the others of the news." Petunia bows her head, "May glory of Helios rest upon you..." She calmly speaks, her face still slightly pale.
She walks to the door, slightly turning back to watch Emperor Cabel gently running his fingers through Luna's hair.
Petunia averts her eyes, quietly exiting.