Chapter Fifteen

Emperor Cabel sits on his throne. He watches the crowds of nobles from the stage.
The ladies of the golden palace, lined up by the stage the throne sits upon. Knights stand guard as nobles begin filling the ballroom.

"Look, Emperor Cabel's staring at me again." Renesha flaunts to the other ladies of the harem.
She fixes her dark red gown as she stares up at Emperor Cabel.
"I want it..." She whispers, her eyes darting to stare at the empty throne beside his.

Just then, on the other end of the room—the doors open and Luna is escorted inside by Lance.
The conversations quietly die down as guests are left in awe.
Emperor Cabel's eyes widen slightly as he watches Luna.

She walks with her eyes downward through the crowd, attempting to ignore the stares upon her. Her gown moves effortlessly, swaying with each step she takes.

"Over here, Lady Luna." Lance speaks, gesturing to the other ladies.
Luna curtsies to the ladies of the harem, taking her place in line with them.

"She's a concubine?"
Whispers arise as she stands with the other ladies.

"Lady Luna, may I ask where you got that dress?" Renesha smiles, her eyes contradicting her sweet smile as they scream out with rage.
"Lance ordered this dress. If you speak with him, I'm sure he'll give you the boutique's name." Luna smiles kindly as she speaks. She turns her eyes to the front, keeping them at a downward gaze.
Taking a deep breath—overwhelmed by the rising whispers—Luna doesn't notice Renesha's expression growing cold.

The nobles all arrive, one by one they all bow before the emperor.
Emperor Cabel watches unamused. He sits with his legs crossed, leaning against the throne's arm rest. His eyes drift occasionally, stealing glances at Luna, who continues to stare down at her feet since arriving.

"Your highness, it's time for your speech." Lance whispers.
Emperor Cabel sighs, standing up lethargically.
He approaches the end of the stage.

"Greetings to all. I thank everyone for coming to celebrate the arrival of winter. In hopes of our great empire to flourish even further once spring arrives, I'd like to celebrate this joyous occasion. I urge you all to enjoy the festivities." Emperor Cabel speaks elegantly, his eyes coldly watching the guests.
He raises his hand, causing the orchestra to begin playing gentle lively music.

Nobles begin talking amongst each other, while Emperor Cabel speaks with Duke Oslo.

"Congratulations, your highness. You've gained more mines, and land this year." Duke Oslo speaks.
"The takeover's still continuing, but I'll soon finish my revenge." Emperor Cabel grins, amused.
"The mines from Avris are almost emptied. All the jewels should arrive at the capital in a few days. There are only seven mines left to empty, but it seems you're task is almost complete."
"Good work, Duke." Emperor Cabel sips his glass of champagne.
Duke Oslo looks around, his eyes freezing.
"Your highness... Isn't that the princess of Avris?" Duke Oslo quietly whispers.

Emperor Cabel glances at Luna who sits at a table, sipping champagne.
"Incredible. She's grown much more vibrant than when we found her. I'm relieved to see her healthy and well." Duke Oslo gazes at Luna, amazed.
"Yes, well it would be troublesome to imprison her if she died." Emperor Cabel harshly speaks.
"Imprison? Even though she's in your harem?"
Emperor Cabel pauses, staring at the group of his concubines as they giggle and speak to each other.
"Being confined in that palace, is as close as it can be to imprisonment. Eventually, they'll all be executed. It's just the way it works."
"Your highness, wouldn't it be troublesome to execute them recklessly?"
"Hm? Not at all." Emperor Cabel chuckles, downing his drink.
The emperor's eyes coldly glare at ladies.
"They all wish to bear my child, in hopes of being the empress or the queen. Insolent rats. The mere thought makes me want to burn that palace down as they sleep." Emperor Cabel grins slightly, amused.
"Your highness... Ruthlessly killing your concubines for being with child, will only create fear in your citizens, and fear in any future prospects for a fiancée-"
"And? Strength is what people worship. Fear is what keeps those who wish to harm my empire away. An empress and a queen isn't necessary when I've proved many times, I can bring this empire to glory without a wife."
Duke Oslo sighs, smiling slightly.
"I suppose this is your empire, and you may do as you wish."