B.2 Chapter Thirty-Eight

"I can't put the marquess's family at risk-"
I'm cut off as the parlour door opens.

Marquees Simone walks in, taking his keys out of the door.
"Father-" Lord Christopher stands, attempting to block the marquess.
Marquess Simone raises his hand, cutting Lord Christopher off as he walks over to stand in front of me.
"Under whose say, are you deciding something for the marquess?" Marquess Simone looks down at me sternly.
"My lord, I-" I stand, bowing my head.
"Who allowed you to speak on my behalf?"
"My lord, I apologize-"
"If I want to put my family at risk, shouldn't it be my decision?" His sharp voice speaks up.
I look up at the marquess, confused.
"Lady Luna. You are the future empress, no matter what happened. I don't fully know what happened, but I can not consciously allow you to run from the empire, when it's dangerous for you to do so. I would rather you stay in my estate, instead of you leave without any security or plan."
"My lord... His highness would kill you or even worse, he could kill your family if he finds out you helped me." My eyes water as I look down at the ground.
"I have been in your debt since you helped my Dulcie. I am always prepared to protect my family, no matter the lengths I have to go to. If you ask me to protect you just the same as I would for my wife, Christopher, or Dulcie, I will gladly do so. Lady Luna, would you like me to repay my debt?" Marquess Simone asks.
I glance up at him as he sternly looks down at me with eyes filled with sincerity.
My tears begin dripping down my cheeks as I nod.
"Please... Help me..." I whisper, wiping my eyes.
"It would be my honour." Marquess Simone smiles, hugging me like he would his daughter.

I sit in Marquess Simone's office with Lady Dulcie, Lord Christopher, Marchioness Adara, and their head maid and butler.
"Lady Luna is to stay with us, but no one is to find out she's here. We'll prepare a disguise for her to wear around the estate, but no maid or butler is allowed to know this secret." Marquess Simone addresses.
"Yes, my lord." The head butler bows, smiling kindly at me.
"If anyone asks who our guest is, say it's a young man who Christopher was friends with back in the academy." Marquess Simone smiles.
"A young man?" Marchioness Adara exclaims.
"Yes. Lady Luna would be easily recognized if she wore dresses. Her body and mannerism would stand out if we claimed she was another lady. If she dresses as a man, no one would suspect anything." Marquess Simone shrugs, looking back at Lord Christopher, "Christopher, this would mean you would have to be seen with Lady Luna, in order to keep up the facade she's your academy friend."
"I understand father." Lord Christopher nods.
"And Dulcie... You'll have to do your best to stay away from Lady Luna." Marquess Simone sighs.
"What? B-But father!-" Lady Dulcie stares shocked.
"I'm not saying you can't ever spend time with her, but you are only allowed to spend time with her with Christopher. She will be known as 'Christopher's guest' so it would make sense his guest would be accompanied by him." Marquess Simone calmly explains.
Lady Dulcie pouts before nodding.
"Yes, father." Lady Dulcie sighs.
"Lady Luna, this is Pierre and Abigail. They've been my trusted employees for many years, and you may talk to them if you need anything. Pierre, purchase a wig in a brown colour as well as large glasses. Abigail, take Lady Luna's measurements and purchase men's clothing that will ensure her body is hidden well."
"Yes, my lord." Pierre and Abigail bow.
"Lady Luna, I'll bring you to your guest bedroom to take your measurements." Abigail smiles.
"Yes, thank you... Um, thank you, my lord. Thank you all for helping me." I bow my head.
"Of course. Now hurry, it'll be quite hectic. We always have dinner together when a guest arrives, so tonight we'll announce that you stopped by to see Christopher, and that we decided to keep you here for a few weeks. Will her disguises be prepared by tonight?" Marquess Simone asks.
"Yes, my lord. I'll send word to Madam Charmile to set aside prepared men's outfits." Pierre smiles, bowing his head.
"Excellent. Lady Luna, you should hurry. We'll see you for dinner." Marquess Simone smiles.
"Ah yes, thank you again!" I smile back, curtsying.
I flip my hood up, hiding my face as Abigail takes me to my room.