Chapter Seven

Emperor Cabel leans back in his chair.
He sighs fatigued, staring out the window. Blankly looking out at the night sky, the stars shine out brightly amongst the full moon.
The door knocks as he begins standing up.

"Your highness? I've brought some tea. May I come in?" Lance calls out.
The door opens and Emperor Cabel walks out of his office.
"I'll have refreshments later, I'm going out for a bit." He speaks coldly.
Lance takes a step back and bows his head.
"Understood, your highness. May glory of Helios rest upon you." Lance responds, watching Emperor Cabel disappear down the hall.

In the warm autumn night, on the balcony of the golden palace's library, stands Luna—her dress gently swaying in the breeze.
She stares at the sky with a look of bittersweet pain as she admires the stars. Her eyes begin to tear up, until she shakes her head. A deep breath in, she wraps her arms around herself.
Moments later she leaves the library, carrying a few books with a black hooded cloak on.
She looks up at the full moon, taking a stroll around the garden. She admires the flowers glistening underneath the moonlight, lost in her thoughts.

A man with gold-brown hair appears, his eyes an orange tone. He wears a beige and gold royal guards uniform, walking through the garden.
His cape blows in the gentle breeze.

"Who dares enter the emperor's garden?" His voice calls out.

His hand grips his sheathed sword as he looks at the figure ahead of him.
The distant figure jumps, turning around.
"Oh forgive me! I'm from the golden palace, my name is Luna." She hurries to push off her hood, curtsying as the man steps closer.

Her gold hair falls gently down her shoulders, flowing in the crisp night breeze. The guards eyes slightly widen, perplexed and stunned as he thinks to himself. His eyes flicker to look at her face and hair.

Regaining his composure, he sternly looks back at her.
"This garden belongs to Emperor Cabel. Refrain from entering if you value your life."
Luna pauses before giggling.
The man can only stare at her, confused.
"Did you not understand me?" He asks.
"I-I apologize, I do understand. It was only amusing to hear these rules. I was on a stroll, but I suppose I left the golden palace's garden." Luna speaks, smiling slightly, "Are you a knight? I've never seen a knight with your uniform before."
Luna gazes at his uniform, curiously.
"I'm a royal guard. I doubt you'll see me after tonight."
"I do apologize, I didn't mean to upset you. I never had a tour of his highness' palace grounds, so I never knew his garden was so close to the golden palace."
"Are you a new one? Is there a reason you never got a tour or are you a trespasser?" The guard grips his sword, beginning to unsheathe it.
Luna jumps, dropping her books.
"Ah, please believe me! I-I was brought in an unhealthy condition, and so being unable to move for a prolonged amount of time, I had to rest before I could leave my room. His highness' butler, Lance can explain it to you if you need more proof..."
The royal guards expression flickers with realization.
"That won't be necessary, I've heard of you before." He roughly sheathes his sword, turning to walk away.
"You have?" Luna asks, a pained tone in her voice.

The guard turns back around, glancing at Luna's expression. She meets his gaze, until quickly averting her eyes.
"I suppose it's hard to run away from rumours." Luna smiles solemnly.
Silence goes by until the guard speaks up.
"I was there. I witnessed the scene, the dungeon you were locked in, and the execution of your parents. Childish rumours are irrelevant to me." The guard walks away, leaving Luna behind.

Luna fidgets her fingers, watching him with only his words left behind. She simply sighs, picking up her books until looking up at the starry sky.
"Am I always going to be haunted by the past?" Luna whispers, closing her watery eyes.
The guard turns around to glance at Luna. He watches the cloak sway in the breeze as she walks towards the golden palace.

Emperor Cabel sits in his office, leaning back in his chair.
He stares out the window in a daze.
"Lance." Emperor Cabel calls out.
"Yes, your highness?"
"Did you gather anything from the golden palace?"
"Regarding the ladies?"
"Who else would I be talking about?"
Lance walks closer to Emperor Cabel's desk with a coy-boyish smile.
"Are you perhaps, interested in a particular one?" Lance asks with a slight singing tone to his voice.
Emperor Cabel glares at him. Growing annoyed, he scoffs until turning his chair to face the window again.
"That's enough of you, leave." Emperor Cabel growls.
"As you wish, your highness. May glory of Helios rest upon you." Lance smiles amused as he bows, exiting the office.

Emperor Cabel blankly stares out the window, until his eye catches the glimpse of a distant building to the far left of his garden—the golden palace's library.
He stares at the tower brightly lit up inside. Averting his eyes, he continues to work through the documents on his desk.

The Emperor's ConcubineOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara