Chapter Twenty-Seven

I toss and turn all night flustered, unable to sleep.
I think back to Cabel's deep voice in my ear, his arms gently holding me.

"Why did he do that?" I whisper to myself.
I sigh, sitting up.
Due to the incident in the golden palace, my residence has been moved to the royal palace.
I look around the large unfamiliar bedroom, decorated with oil paintings and a glossy marble floor.
I look out the window to a view of the garden lit up by the moon.
"He spoke so gently..." I shake my head, burying my face in the pillows.
I groan unable to forget his voice, tickling my ear.

"My lady, did you have any sleep?" Lance asks, pouring tea.
"I'm afraid I couldn't fall asleep, I kept overthinking..."
My eyes feel puffy and sore as I attempt to stay awake.
Lance sighs as he looks me in the eyes.
"My lady, would you like some sleeping tea tonight?" He asks.
"No, that won't be necessary. I just couldn't sleep due to everything that's happened."
"I see. If you change your mind, do let me know."
"Of course, thank you. How's Maggie doing?" I ask, taking a sip of my tea.
"She's doing well for now. She's going to rest for a month or two until she fully feels better. She seems to have a broken shoulder."
"Ah I see..."
Lance sighs as he smiles kindly.
"My lady, her injuries are not your fault." He gently speaks.
"I-I know, but I wish I could have protected her..."
"You did the best you could. She in turn, also protected you."
"What do you mean?"
"We had to investigate what happened. She said that the ladies threatened to hurt you. They told her of your past, and she wanted to ensure you were never hurt again... Every time the emperor sent a letter, Lady Renesha's maid would receive it first and hurt Magnolia before she gave it to you. It appears they wanted you to hate the emperor for their plan. Thankfully, his highness ended those plans before they could cause more pain."
I nod slightly and smile.
"I see... Thank you for telling me."

I walk through the palace garden wearing a spring gown.
A beautiful simple pale green gown with long slit sleeves and a square cut neckline. A fabric corset tied around my waist, accented with an emerald crystal necklace, and light emerald green heels.
I roam the garden, admiring the flowers beginning to bloom.
The snow almost all melted, the sun warming the outside.

"It's almost been a year since I came here..." I whisper to myself.
I admire the warmth of the sun as it melts the rest of the snow on the grass. The grass, vibrantly green with dew left from the snow.
Warm arms wrap around me from behind.
I jump, startled.
I turn my head to see Cabel, resting his head on my shoulder.
"E-Emperor Cabel?"
"Cabel. I told you to call me Cabel." He cuts me off, yet his voice is gentle as he smiles slightly looking down at me.
He stands up straight, keeping his arms around me.
"C-Cabel." I stutter embarrassed.
He smirks amused as I say his name.
My face warms up, feeling like it's turning into a shade far redder than his eyes.
"What are you doing out here?" He asks.
"I-I was just admiring the flowers. It didn't feel nice to stay in the room all day... Are you taking a break?" I ask, looking up at him.
My heart begins pounding as he tightens his arms around me.
"Yes, I guess I am. I saw you through the window and wanted to see you."
"Oh, I see..."
My mind blanks as I feel steam emitting off my forehead as I blush more.
I grow flustered by the sudden attention.
I notice some gardeners who pass by, looking on shocked. I slowly slip out of his arms and step back.
"Don't you need to go back and finish some more work?" I ask, nervously.
"Do you not want to see me?" He asks, staring at me with clear focused eyes.
"I-I just don't want to keep you away from working..."
"I see. Will you join me for dinner tonight then?" He smiles gently, making my heart jump.
His expression resting or angry is intimidating yet still handsome, but when he gently smiles it's as if he looks like a seductive fallen angel.
I nod and look away, unable to handle anymore of his dangerous smile.
"If that's okay with you, your highness..."
"I'll have someone to grab you, once dinner's ready." Cabel speaks kindly.
He leans close, but freezes uncomfortably.
I look up at him as he acts awkward, until he pats my head.
I giggle lightly as I see him quickly turn away, his ears turning a faint shade of red.