Chapter Seventy-Three

I sit in the dining room, taking a bite of the salad.
Duke Oslo sits across from me, eating his meal.
"Your grace?" I call out.
"Yes?"
"Have you spoken with his highness regarding the sewage systems?"
"Yes, it appears your theory was correct. Dr. Fallon sent me the patient names who were better after a few days. They'll be continuing to treat the other patients as such, and we will be notifying the board of health of this disease."
"I see, I'm glad." I smile slightly, taking another bite of food.
I poke at the salad, losing my appetite again.
"Is something the matter?" Duke Oslo asks.
"No... I suppose I'm not used to being here quite yet."
"I see, I'll ensure my help makes your stay comfortable. If you need anything, you can call for anyone."
"Yes, thank you..."
I force myself to take another small bite of the salad as we continue to eat in silence.

I lie in bed, my eyes welling up with tears as I stare at the unfamiliar ceiling.
I hold back my tears, taking a deep breath.
The door knocks.
I sit up, quickly wiping away any wetness from my eyes.
"Come in." I call out, getting up from the bed.
The door opens and Duke Oslo enters, carrying a box.
"I just wanted to bring you something you might like." Duke Oslo smiles kindly.
I walk over to him, looking in the box to see multiple books.
"I forgot to tell them to add bookcases in here. We can install them tomorrow morning and buy new books, if you'd like?"
"Please, don't go through any trouble. These are enough." I take the box of books, smiling gratefully.
"There's also a library you're free to go to, if you don't wish to purchase any."
"Thank you... You've done so much for me, I wouldn't want to impose."
"Nonsense, you're my guest. You can venture around, however you'd like. I should warn you, my library isn't filled with all the same books in the royal palace." Duke Oslo smiles, snickering.
"It's more than enough." I chuckle, staring at the books in the box.
"Luna..." Duke Oslo calls my name.
I look back at him and smile.
"Yes?"
"The spring ball is approaching... I have to attend and if you wouldn't be bothered by it, would you like to attend as my partner?"
My eyes widen, surprised.
"Oh..."
"You don't need to answer right away, or feel pressured to go. I have to be accompanied by someone, and thought you might like to go."
"I appreciate it. I need to think about it though, is that alright?"
"Of course. Just let me know so we can order a gown in advance for you."
"Yes, I'm grateful for the offer, your grace." I bow slightly.
"I'll leave you to rest. If you need anything, my bedroom is down the hall to the right."
"Yes, goodnight." I wave slightly as Duke Oslo leaves, smiling back.
I sit on the bed again and sigh.
"It's for the best, right?" I whisper under my breath, closing my eyes.

I wake up, staring at the unfamiliar room.
My heart ache no longer there, but only a numbed empty sensation.
I dress up in the new clothing the maids bring. A maid tightens the corset while I step into a simple pink and white frilled gown.
I slide my arms into the sleeves, staring at myself in the mirror as a maid laces the gown up. They clip a side of my hair back with a pearl barrette.
"Thank you. I can finish getting ready from here." I smile, sending them out.
I apply my rose lip balm, sliding into a pair of pink matching high heels.
I sip my tea, sitting by the window as I read a book.
The pitter pattering of the rain drops calming me down.

The door knocks.
"Come in." I call out.
Duke Oslo opens the door and smiles.
"Good morning, did you sleep well?" Duke Oslo walks up to me.
"Good morning, yes I did. What about yourself?"
"Very well. I actually came to give you these."
Duke Oslo places documents on the table.
I stare at them, confused.
"These are the necessary papers to become a consultant. It goes through the department of education which works with the palace to accept candidates, but the grading is unbiased. It would have been an issue if you were a concubine, but now that you're not, you qualify to write the exam."
"The exam?" I look up at Duke Oslo happily.
"Yes, these are the materials you need to study in order to pass. I'll speak with Fredrick to order the books urgently, if you still wish to do this."
"Of course! Yes! I'd love to!" I stand, clasping Duke Oslo's hands.
"Er, well then, I'll let him know." Duke Oslo's face blushes slightly.
"Yes, thank you!" I squeal out of joy.
"I should warn you, it might be difficult. They only give the test once every two months." Duke Oslo's face twists awkwardly.
"So, when will the next one be?"
"Well... In a week."
"A week?" I exclaim, shocked.
"Yes, I know it's a short amount of time, but it's a very difficult to pass on the first try. It's in ten days to be more precise, but it's best to go the first time, see the difficulty and try again once you study more of the materials. Everyone has five attempts so you won't need to worry."
I stare at the pages on my table, thinking to myself.
"No..."
"You don't wish to take it?"
"No, I do... I'm just going to pass the first time though." I flash a cheeky grin at Duke Oslo who looks at me wide eyed.
He scoffs, chuckling lightly.
"Yes... I think you will. I'll send Fredrick to the district now so you can start studying."
"Thank you, your grace."
"Of course."
Duke Oslo bows his head slightly, leaving the room.
I sit down and review the documents he's given me.