chapter 4

THE PEVENSIES, TRUMPKIN, HECTA AND CAT were sat in the boat that had previously belonged to the Telmarines. Peter was rowing the boat while Hecta was sat on the front of the boat away from the Pevensies who she didn't want to see. Lucy was looking around with a sad expression on her face.

"They're so still." Lucy said referring to the trees.

"They're trees. What do you expect?" Trumpkin asked.

"They used to dance." Lucy told him.

"It wasn't long after you left that the Telmarines invaded. Those that hadn't been captured or killed retreated to the woods. And the trees have retreated so deeply inside themselves that no one has heard from them since." Hecta said not bothering to turn around to look at them.

"I don't understand. How could Aslan have let this happen?" Lucy said making Hecta scoff.

"Aslan? I thought he abandoned us after you lot did." Trumpkin said unsure of what happened to the lion.

"He did." Hecta told him.

"We didn't mean to leave, you know." Cat told them.

"Doesn't make much difference now, does it?" Hecta said.

"Get us to the Narnians and it will." Peter told her.

They had finally arrived at shore and climbed out the boat. Hecta was helping Trumpkin tie down the boat whilst Lucy moved towards a bear.

"Hello there! It's alright, we're friends." Lucy told the bear making everyone look towards the small girl. Hecta and Trumpkins eyes widened.

"Don't move, your majesty!" Trumpkin said while the bear started chasing towards Lucy making everyone grow worried. Susan got an arrow read and aimed it but didn't shoot.

"Stay away from her!" Susan told the bear.

"Susan shoot!" Edmund shouted at his sister. Hecta realised Susan wasn't gonna do anything so she ran towards Lucy and shielded her from the bear. The bear scratched Hecta's ankle causing her to wince slightly. Even if she was mad at them she didn't want to see any of them hurt.

Just before the bear got any closer to Hecta, Trumpkin shot it making it fall along with Hecta while its paw was still wrapped around Hecta's ankle. She let Lucy go before it fell and attempted to get the dead bear off her ankle causing Edmund to run towards her whilst Lucy went towards Peter who still had his sword drawn.

Hecta stabbed the bears paw and started tearing it away from her now bleeding skin. and chucked its paw near the boat.

"Are you okay?" Edmund asked worried while he gave her support so she could walk.

"I'm fine." She told him and shrugged him off and limped towards Trumpkin

"Why wouldn't he stop?" Susan asked.

"I suspect he was hungry." Trumpkin told them.

"He was wild?" Cat asked as Hecta carefully put her ankle in the boat so Trumpkin could bandage it up.

"I don't think he could talk at all." Peter said making his way towards Hecta.

"Get treated like a dumb animal long enough and that's what you become." Trumpkin told them as he got his knife and started cutting up the fur on the bear before making his way towards Hecta with the Pevensies.

"You may find Narnia a more savage place than you remember." Hecta told them.

Lucy started to hand her vial but Hecta refused.

"That's used for emergency's this isn't one." Hecta said with a small smile.

"Do you have a cloth?" Trumpkin asked the Pevensies.