chapter 1

EDMUND WAS CURRENTLY STOOD IN LINE waiting to get to the front of the queue. He wanted to go to war and help his country win the war even though he was not of age. Since he had not been in Narnia for 2 years he had wanted to make himself useful in the war that was going on in his world.

"Are you sure you're 18?" The man asked Edmund.

"Why, do I look older?" Edmund said given him his detail card.

"Alberta Scrubb?" He asked Edmund not buying his act and the fact he doesn't look like a girl.

"It's supposed to be Alberta A. Scrubb." Edmund explained but before the man could say anything Lucy came in and interrupted the conversation.

"Edmund. Your supposed to be helping me with the groceries." Lucy said making everyone in the queue laugh at Edmund as he walked off.

"Better luck next time, eh, squirt." One man in the queue said making Edmund angry as they both walked outside the building.

"Squirt!" He said angrily as they walked towards their bike. "He barely had two years on me. I'm a king! I've fought wars and I've led armies!"

"Not in this world." Lucy reminded him.

"Yeah, instead I'm stuck here doing battle with Eustace Clarence Scrubb." He said whilst strapping the box of groceries on the bike. "If anyone deserves a name."

Behind Edmund was man and a woman talking to each other. She was dressed in a blue trench coat and he was dressed in an army uniform. The woman put a strand of her blonde hair behind her ears as Lucy does the same.

"What are you doing?" Edmund asks confused.

"Nothing. Come on then." She said rushing them home but Edmund tried to get a quick glance at what she had been staring at.

At the Scrubb's household, Eustace was currently writing in his diary on the floor next to a tub of sweets like he did most days.

'Dear diary, it is now day 253 since my wretched cousins Edmund and Lucy invaded our house. Not sure how much longer I can cope with them, having to my things. If only one relatives like one insects all my problems would be solved. I put them in a jar or pin them to my wall.' Eustace wrote down.

"I'm home." Lucy said from downstairs making Eustace hide his sweets under his bed and shove his diary down his sock.

'Note to self investigate legal ramifications impaling of relatives.' He thought to himself

"Hello Uncle Harold." Lucy said walking past her Uncle into the kitchen. Mr Scrubb hid his face in the newspaper as the radio was on and ignored Lucy. "I tired to find some carrots but all they had were turnips again. Shall I start making soup? Aunt Alberta's on her way home."

"Uncle Harold." She said trying to make pay attention whilst Edmund stuck his tongue out at him which didn't go unnoticed by Eustace.

"Father! Edmund's making faces at you." Eustace said as he threw a spit ball at Edmund making him run up the stairs.

"Why you little-"

"-Fathers he's going to hit me!" Eustace said but just as Edmund was about to hit him Lucy interrupted him.

"Edmund look" She said holding up a letter. "It's from Susan." They both went into Lucy's room and began reading Susan's letter.

"I do wish you were here with us. It's been such an adventure but nothing like our times in Narnia. America is very exciting except we never see Father. He works very hard. I was invited to the British Consul's tea party this week by a naval officer, who happens to be very handsome. I think he fancies me. Peter and Cat are as close as ever and are expected to be getting married soon.It seems the Germans have made the crossing very difficult right now. Times are hard. Mother hopes you wont mind another few months in Cambridge." Lucy said reading out Susan's letter.

"Another few months. How will we survive." Lucy said.

"Your lucky, at least you got your own room. I'm stuck with mullet mouth." Edmund said.

"Susan and Peter are the lucky ones, of on adventures." Lucy said.

"Yeah, they're the oldest and we're the youngest. We dont matter as much." Edmund said rather annoyed.

"Do you think I look anything like Susan?" Lucy asked her brother as she went over to the mirror but he ignored her.

"Lucy have you seen this ship before?" Edmund asked referring to the painting in her room.

"Yes, its very Narnian looking isn't it."

"Just another reminder that we're here and not there."

"There were once two orphans, wasted their time believing in Narnian nursery rhymes." Eustace said between the door frame.

"Please let me hit him." Edmund said walking towards Eustace only to be pulled back by Lucy.

"No!" Lucy told Edmund.

"Don't you ever knock." Edmund said.

"It's my house. I'll do as I please, your just guests." He said walking into the room and sitting on the bed. "What's so fascinating about the picture anyway, its hideous."

"You won't see it from the other side of the door." Edmund said earning Eustace to give him a dirty look behind his back and making Lucy snicker.

"Edmund, the water looks like its moving." Lucy said to her brother.

"What rubbish. See? That's what happens when you read all those fanciful novels and fairy tales of yours." Eustace said.

"There once was a boy name Eustace, who read books full of facts that were useless." Edmund said making Lucy smile and laugh.

"People who read fairy tales are always the sort who become a hideous bourdon to people like me who read books of real information." Eustace argued back.

"Hideous Bourdon?! I haven't seen you lift a finger since we've been here." Edmund said arguing with his cousin whilst Lucy stared at the picture as it began to move. Eustace tried to leave but Edmund put his hand there blocking his way out. " I have a right mind to tell your father it was you who stole Aunt Alberta's sweets."

"Liar." Eustace said.

As the two boys continued arguing water began spilling out of painting and wind began to hit Lucy in the face.

"Edmund, the painting." Lucy told her brother but he was too busy arguing with Eustace to listen. Suddenly water hit Lucy in the face making her gasp and Edmund and Eustace's attention go back to the painting and water began spilling more violently out of it.

"What's going on here?" Eustace asked.

"Lucy do you think-"

"-This is some kind of a trick. Stop it or I'll tell mother! Mother! Mother!" Eustace said backing up towards the door. "I'll just smash the rotten thing." He said as he took it off the wall as Edmund and Lucy tried to stop him.

Eustace had then dropped the painting causing the room to fill up with water dragging them down. Furniture floated everywhere as they tried to swim up. Once they swam up they saw they were back in Narnia but the massive ship from the painting came towards them making them swim so they dont get hit by it. Men dived off the ship and swam towards the 3 children. One man swam up to Lucy and wrapped his arms around her.

"It's alright. I've got you." The man said making Lucy turn around and see a familiar face.

"Caspian!" She shouted.

"Lucy." He said with a big smile.

"Edmund, It's Caspian!" Lucy told her brother.

"It's alright boys, your safe now." One of the man said to them but Eustace was still scared.

"Are we in Narnia?" Edmund asked the man that held onto him

"Yes, your in Narnia." The man replied.

"I dont want to go!" Eustace shouted as he moved his arms around. "I want to go back to England! I'm going back to England!"

Caspian then helped Lucy onto a swing that picked them out of water whilst he had his hand supported around her waist as they stepped onto the boat. And once again they were home.