chapter 5

'DEAR DIRAY' Eustace began to write in his diary. 'there has been a extraordinary turn of events. I've been abducted by my cousins and set adrift in uncharted waters in some ridiculous looking boat. What's worse I share quarters with an obnoxious mouse thing. And I thought bunking with my cousin was bad enough. So far, every person I've met in this strange place suffers from the most florid delusions. Chasing green mist and looking for lost lords. I can only assume this is the result of poor diet. Or they're all just barking mad. Cousin Edmund is no exception. He spends every spare second rubbing that tin sword of his like it's some magic lantern while his witchy girlfriend watches him. Peeving marmot.'

"He's even more deluded than my cousin." Eustace said about Reepicheep when a seagull comes and flies in front of him. "In England we have mouse traps for that sort of thing. Speaking of food, you don't happen to know where I could get any, do you?" Eustace asked the bird.

"Uh, why you talking to that bird?" Tavros ,the minotaur, asked.

"I just naturally assumed that it can-" Eustace started but was cut off by Tavros laughing.

"He's talking to birds!" Tavros said laughing.

"He's mad as a loon that one." The crew member next to Tavros said.

"Shoo go on get off!" Eustace ordered the seagull.

Later on in the day, Eustace was looking for food below the deck. He went over to pick out an orange but before he could leave a voice stopped him.

"Are you aware-" Reepicheep's voice aid making Eustace fall back onto the pans hanging from the wall. "-stealing rations is a capital offense at sea? Up here."

"Oh, you." Eustace said not scared anymore.

"Men have been keelhauled for less." Reepicheep told the boy.

"For what?" Eustace asked.

"For treason and sneakiness and general nuisancery. Look, just hand over the orange, and we we'll let the matter pass."

"I dont know what you're talking about."

"Allow me to clar-" Reepicheep was cut off when Eustace grabbed his tail.

"Look, I've had quite enough of you."

"Unhand, the tail." Reepicheep said pointing his sword at his nose making a worried expression form on Eustace's face making him let go. "The great Aslan himself gave me this tail. No one, repeat, no one, touches the tail. Period, exclamation mark."

"Sorry."

"Now, I will have the orange and will have satisfaction." Reepicheep said while picking up a knife and handing it Eustace.

"P-please. I'm a pacifist." Eustace said stammering on his words.

"En garde!" Reepicheep said waving his sword in his face making Eustace run away.

As Eustace was running away from the mouse he bumped in to many people mumbling apologises on the way.

"Trying to run away? Were on a boat, you know." Reepicheep said as he moved in front of Eustace.

"Look can't we just discuss this?" Eustace pleaded

"That was for stealing." Reepicheep said slashing his shirt open slightly. "That was for lying." Reepicheep then picked up the orange with his sword and then hitting Eustace with the orange." And that was for good measure." All of a sudden Eustace makes a move for Reepicheep making the mouse smile. "That's the spirit. We have ourselves a duel. Catch!" He said as Drinian caught the orange "Now, come on. Take your best shot."

Eustace struck forward but Reepicheep ducked making Eustace hit a bag. "Is that it? Come on boy."

Eustace then struck for his legs making Reepicheep jump up and he kept striking for his legs will being praised by Reepicheep.

"Now stop flapping your wings like a drunken pelican. Poise!" Reepicheep said standing in the correct position as he ordered Eustace what to do.

Eustace leant forward and tried to attack Reepicheep's legs making him jump again. Reepicheep moved along the boat as Eustace followed him. Eustace saw Reepicheep in one spot and threw his knife at it making it get stuck.

"Yooo hoo over here." Reepicheep said on top of a barrel. "Lung with your foot." He got down from the barrel and tap his legs. "Not with your left, with your right." As he made his way back over to the side of the boat.

Eustace lunged with his right and he pointed his knife towards Reepicheep as he avoided the knife whilst praising Eustace. Reepicheep then pretended to fall off the boat making Eustace look over the side of the boat no

#t noticing Reepicheep climbing behind him until Reepicheep tapped on the shoulder making Eustace look behind and Reepicheep to push him over making him knock a basket over. What was unusual was that the basket screamed making Hecta and Lucy walk towards it.

They saw a young girl crawl out of the basket making everyone's attention go to the small girl. The same girl who wanted to come with her dad.

"Gael?" Her dad said walking over to her "What are you doing here?" He saw how upset she was so he went up to her and brought in a hug. Hecta didn't like watching people have a bond with their dad or parents so she left. Lucy saw her but decided to not question her.

Drinan then went up to the Gael with a stern expression on his face making Gael hug her dads side tightly scared of the tall old man. " Looks like we have an extra crew member." He said holding out the orange Eustace took which she took.

"Welcome aboard." Lucy said with a smile.

"Your majesty." She said whilst curtsying.

"Call me Lucy. Come on." She said as they walked down into now their shared room.

"Back to work!" Drinan shouted.

"Good match. I'll make a swordsman of you yet." Reepicheep told Eustace making him smile slightly but then made it go away quickly.

"Yes, well, if the playing field were a little bit more even, would have been an entirely different result." Eustace said walking off making Reepicheep laugh.

"Indeed." Reepicheep said whilst laughing.