Chapter 2 - The Most Handsome Boy

Every year there was a scholarship test that allowed 5 students from our high school to be exchange students and attend Royals High.

It was every student's dream to attend that school - even if it was for just one semester.

If you performed well, they would renew your scholarship.

This was basically a sad attempt of the school board to banish all the nepotism criticism that they get in the mainstream news. It kind of made us feel even more pathetic but we were all suckers.

There was not one student in my school who didn't try their all to secure a scholarship every year.

Woojin tried his best.

I tried my best.

Everyone did.

One of my closest friends goes into that school through that scholarship program. I should meet up with him.

That reminds me that I need to call him.

Woojin didn't get in this year either. It was his final try.

He tried the scholarship test for all four years of high school but he couldn't get in, even though he was one of the best students in our school.

He was just sour that even in his final year of high school when he really thought he would be a part of the Royals high, he still couldn't get in.

"Woojin you don't need the tag of Royals High to be validated. You are doing really good here and didn't you say some college abroad even asked you if you're interested in the early entry? Stop being so sad" I try to lighten the mood.

"Damn right I don't need their tag. I am sad that summer is over and school starts on Monday. Not because of that stupid school" he huffs and I smile.

"What about you? Did you check your email?" he asks as he gathers his things in his bag.

I laugh. "You didn't get in. What makes you think I would have. I didn't even bother checking the email" I snort and get away from the counter to go clean up the table in the corner.

We only have a couple of people in the cafe right now, most students from Royals High.

I preferred it this way because these students couldn't care less about the people around them.

If I wasn't wearing the uniform, I was invisible to them.

I liked being invisible.

It meant that I wasn't bothered.

I personally never faced any bullying from them, just sneers and scowls but I knew some of these students were brutal towards others.

I didn't want to know what being on the end of their burn felt like.

"You never know. If I am not wrong, you ranked 1st in your class last year. You also have a lot of extra-curricular activity certificates under your sleeves. They might have considered you" he shrugs and I roll my eyes at him in response.

I may be first in my class but Woojin was much smarter than me.

I could only rank 1st because Woojin was a year older than me.

If he had been in the same class as mine, I would have never been able to compete with him. Woojin and San were the toppers, always first.

One would think that would make them enemies, at each other's throat but surprisingly they were very good friends.

The three of us knew each other since childhood.

Our parents were neighbors before and we saw each other so much growing up in all the potlucks and functions that it somehow turned into the friendship we have now.