Chapter 53 - Happy To See Him

San was good. I knew that. I haven't seen him since he started swimming. I grew up with him and watched as the rack in his room filled one by one with each medal, sometimes gold, sometimes silver, and a few bronzes.

I even attended a few of his competitions in the past. I have seen him focused on his sport but seeing him like this, in this game, head focused on the competition is me seeing him in a new light.

He has won 2 races till now and every time he gets up, he rewards the crowd with a smirk that is so unlikely of him while he takes off his cap and puts his goggles on his head. He looks calm and composed from start to finish.

He saw me after his first round and waved at me with a smile. He notices the people sitting beside me and his smile diminishes to a slight frown before he has to go talk to his coach.

I think I heard a few girls behind me swoon at his smile.

I almost think he is cool.

Almost.

Royals High was the host of this inter-school competition. 6 other schools were participating here and the bleachers around the swimming pool were filled with groups of students in different school uniforms.

I couldn't see a single public school. All the schools participating were elite private schools but it was no doubt that Royals High stood out amongst all.

Kai, Bihyiy, Beomgyu, Me, and Soobin were sitting in this order in the front row. We had a clear view of the pool and the contestants.

Thankfully the first seats were far enough not to get splashed at.

Since I entered with Soobin, he insisted that we sit together. I didn't want to sit with him only because I knew how much attention it would drive towards me.

But I was kind of swayed by his confession outside the building.

I didn't know what he meant by that and I don't think he meant to slip it out of his lips either.

Even though I wanted to try to understand him and ask him more questions about why he said what he said exactly how much of the gossip he knew and what fraction of it was true

However, first of all, I understood that the less I knew, the better.

The more I get involved with them - whether the Royals are nice or not - it is not going to help me but rather put me under the scrutiny of others, and secondly, the more sympathetic side of me did not want him to feel uncomfortable.

Beomgyu was very excited when he saw me follow Soobin to their seat and instantly made space for me beside him. Bihyiy wanted me to sit beside her but Soobin directed me toward the corner so I sat beside him. It was a win for Beomgyu either way.

Kai just acknowledged my presence with a nod of his head and raised an eyebrow at Soobin.

Soobin and Kai had a full-on eye conversation in front of me and when I looked at Beomgyu for clarification, he just shrugged his shoulder but there was a glint in his eyes like he knew but wouldn't tell.

I focused on cheering for San and directed my attention to the competition ahead of me.

There was a big crowd cheering for him but that was just the beginning. The first qualification round ended and to no one's shock, San qualified.

I hooted and cheered him on he smiled in my direction and Bihyiy competed with me for the loudest cheer. I couldn't beat her but I was happy that he was getting so much support from his peers.

I was proud of him.

"You haven't even seen the star yet. If you're impressed by San, you're going to be baffled with Taehyun" Beomgyu says amidst his cheers.