Chapter 74 - Armour/ Burden

"Thanks Yuri, it means a lot"

"Hey, do you plan on eating the ice cream? It is going to melt, if not already" I say diverting us from the pain we both know he is in.

He hands me a cup from the bag and I open it to see Rocky Road icecream - my favorite. Woojin must have suggested he take this for me.

"I remember you asking for Rocky Road the day Woojin made all of you drink the milkshake so I thought you might like this" he shrugs as if no big deal. I just stare at him.

He remembered that? The flutters make an appearance again and I want to punch myself in the stomach to stop it. I would probably look mad for doing it.

But then, I am sure the pink staining my cheeks was making me look stupid as well.

Who blushes for an icecream?

If he pointed it out, I would blame the chilly wind and then push him down this hill.

"So Yuri, you know a lot about me. You owe me some dirty secrets or old skeletons in the closet at least" he nudges me lightly with his elbow and I narrow my eyes at him.

"Come on. You must have something. A bad decision. Making out with strangers. Going on a trip without telling your parents. Maybe a C in a test?" he asks hopefully and I laugh.

"Nope. Nothing. Never made a decision I regretted. Never kissed anyone. Never went on a trip without informing my parents and never got a C in my exams. Although that would be a great way for me to die out of humiliation" I say and he looks at me quizzically. 

"I don't have any dirty secret to reveal. No skeleton in the closet. I am a pretty boring average teen of this Nation. Nothing special" I answer honestly continuing when he keeps staring at me.

I did not lead an adventurous life like him or any other Royals. The thought hits me that maybe what is an adventure for me is daily life for them. For him. And I am not sure whether the feeling that bubbles inside me is pity or relief.

"You kissed me. Was I your first kiss?" I see curiosity pooling in his eyes and I look away, trying not to give away my embarrassment. 

"That was not a kiss. And if you bring up that incident one more time, I swear to god Yeonjun, I will strangle you with that plastic bag" I warn and hear him chuckle.

"Okay okay I won't mention that but it kinda boosts my ego if you ask me knowing that I was your -"  I glare at him and he shuts up before finishing the sentence. 

Why do I always end up digging my own grave? I did not have to mention this to him. I could have just said 'no, nothing of the sorts you mentioned' but I had to go ahead and answer each of his assumptions. 

"But hey, you entered Royals High on scholarship. You must be brilliant. There is nothing average about you" he speaks while looking directly at me but I cannot maintain his stare. I look away.

Why do his words twist up in my mind in a way that makes me think he means something more than he just said? He only means academically. Nothing else.

Absolutely nothing else.

"We are in the same school" I remind him and he scoffs in return.

"Oh please. I would not be here if it wasn't for my father. I am not sure whether I should be thankful or despise him for this" he tugs on his leather jacket and my eyes soften.

"I have so many people who don't want me here but I don't understand why the old man insists on me staying here. I was happy in the US. I could have continued my life there but he had to go and uproot me from my life and throw me in here, in the middle of these sharks who are craving for my blood" he fists his hands as if trying to calm himself from saying anything else.