Chapter 23 - Bad Timings

I turn the knob. 

Both clockwise and counterclockwise.

But nothing happens. 

The door stays closed. 

What the hell!

I knock on the door and peek through the frosted glass but as far as I can tell, I don't see any silhouette on the other side. 

The teacher may not be back yet.

Shit. 

What will I do now? 

I switch turns between knocking and trying to turn the knob but nothing works because I get no answer.

My day was going great, why did this have to happen? What am I going to do now?

I lean against the door and pray to the Gods above to help me out here. 

I don't want to cause a scene on my first day here. I want it to go by smoothly and without any mishaps. 

Not that it is possible now but I would still try to keep it to a minimum if possible. 

I hear a distinct click of a door and a spark of hope rises in me. 

Just as I am about to knock again I hear someone shout and halt. 

Bad timing. 

"What the hell is your problem?" someone shouts.

"My problem? You have the audacity to stand in front of me and ask me what my problem is?" another voice yells back. 

I hear a thud and a low groan and then another sound of someone shoving something or someone. 

"You think I want to be here? Who do you think is to blame for my return?" person one shouts back. 

I hear another loud thud and take a step back from the door. 

Why am I always at the wrong place at the wrong time?

This cannot be happening to me.

There is a distinct difference between the voices so it is easy for me to distinguish between them. Both sound like males though, that's for sure.

"I don't fucking care. You shouldn't be here and you know it. We had a deal. Now that you're here, I don't think I can hold the end of my bargain" person 2 snickers.

I hear another loud thud and the silhouette of a person slammed on the frosted glass in front of me. 

I take another step back and put my palm to my mouth to not breathe too hard or make any sound. 

What exactly is going on?

And why do I always find myself in these sticky situations?

"You do anything to her and I will fucking end you, damn the consequences" person 1 threatens.

"What are you gonna do? You can't even protect yourself and you think you can protect her?" person 2 laughs and I hear another thud followed by a low groan.

When will the teacher be back? 

I shouldn't be listening to this conversation. Didn't I learn anything from the last time I eavesdrop?

But it's not like I have a choice now.

I am stuck in this closet and these people are shouting at each other. 

I squint my eyes to check whether one of the two people is the teacher but I can make out the maroon of the blazers on both of them so I assume that both of them are students.