50

Vote and comment:-)

You may continue...

50
Ethan's pov

"I should have known." I said for the thousandth time that evening. My chin rested against my hand and my eyes stared ahead to the dull white paint of Malcolm's office. "I should have known Glory coming to the outside wasn't to see me, but to ruin me."

"There's no way you could have known Ethan." Malcolm said. "Glory as well as the Institute board are really good at holding on to their real intentions." 

"You don't understand." I said. "This isn't the first time, neither is it the second. She does this every damn time she notices I'm beginning to get comfortable with my life, she always finds a way to destroy the lives of everyone around me. She did it with Lacy, with Fiona and now Ivy. What have I ever done to Glory Curt? Why is she hell bent on ruining my life Malcolm?" 

Malcolm looked at me, his eyes soft with what I knew quite well as pity and care. "Don't put this on yourself Ethan, don't do what you did with Lacy. Don't let yourself feel like you had the power to stop what happened. The Inc is solely responsible for that, okay?"

"But that's the truth Malcolm, I can't lie to myself and say this isn't my fault. If I had been more careful, if I had paid attention to details, Ivy's parents would still be alive." 

"This is not your fault." 

I shook my head, covering my face with my hands. "I promised her, I promised to protect her from them. I told her not to worry about the Inc, but I should have known better." I rubbed my eyes, drumming my fingers on the table. "I failed, Malcolm. I failed again." 

Silence fell in the office, enhancing my thoughts just before Malcolm decided to speak.

"I wonder why they'd do such a thing. What does her parents have to do with all this? They could have just wiped their memories or anything else, killing them was kind of too far, it only means there's something else involved in all this. They'd never set a condition for a human to stay here with us. That's definitely not what the Inc would do." 

I scoffed. "It's funny how you can't see it yet Malcolm. All this still leads back to me. Glory was only trying to prove a point. She told me not to get close to Ivy because she thought she'd sway me away from my true potential, whatever the fuck that is." I raked my fingers through my hair. "She's trying to do everything in her power to separate Ivy and I. And I never thought I'd say this but- she won." 

"No she hasn't. You still haven't talked to Ivy, like really talk."

"I can't face her Malcolm." 

"You have to. She might not even blame you for anything, she might just understand." 

I scoffed. "Anyone would blame me. She just lost her parents Malcolm, both of them, and on top of that, she was forced to come here. Her parents were nice people, they loved her, they accepted me despite not even knowing me that well, not every parent would do that. Staying with them reminded me of how it felt to have parents. I didn't only fail Ivy, I failed them too." 

Malcolm sighed. "Things would get better, Ethan."

"Will they?" I stood up, letting out a breath. "I hate this place. I hate Glory. I hate life itself."