What We Know

"Well didn't want to risk leaving them behind, the more we know about Horcruxes, the better chance we have to destroy them." Mikayla chimed in, to put Hermione a bit more at ease that she wasn't the only culprit and that they have a good reason to 'borrow without consent'. "So right after we agreed we'd leave school and go and look for the Horcruxes. When we went back upstairs to get our things it, it just occurred to me that the more we knew about them, the better it would be. We were alone in there, so we tried it and it worked, incredibly well actually."

Mikayla nodded along with Hermione's words, pitching in to say that the book flew straight through the open windows, and they packed them in their trunks immediately. Hermione anxiously swallowed, in suspense of how the boys would react. Hermione then imploringly spat out to defend their actions, that she doubted anyone would be angry with them. "We did what we had to do, so we know exactly what we're facing."

"Can you hear us complaining?" Ron retorted almost instantly. He looked almost proud of the girl's initiative, or maybe he was just happy that they had done all the research and he wouldn't have to read some boring old books. "Where are these books anyway?" Harry asked, his eyes scanning the two piles of books in front of Hermione, even if he didn't know what he was looking for. Hermione looked positively nauseous at the idea of showing them the stolen book, so Mikayla got to her feet and made her way over to piles of books, "I'll get it."

Mikayla rummaged through the keep pile for a moment, before extracting a large volume book that was bound in faded black leather. "This book boys is Owle Bullock's Secrets of the Darkest Art. Our most useful contraband, it goes into explicit instructions on how someone makes a Horcrux." Mikayla holds out the book towards them, to display the front cover that held the title in the centre, it was accented with debossed purple foiled elements and held the author's name at the bottom.

" Mikayla holds out the book towards them, to display the front cover that held the title in the centre, it was accented with debossed purple foiled elements and held the author's name at the bottom

"It's a horrible book, really awful, full of evil magic. I wonder when Dumbledore removed it from the library. If he didn't do it until he was headmaster, I bet Voldemort got all the instructions he needed from here." Hermione pitched, shivering at memory of all the horrific things that they've read in that book. "Why did he have to ask Slughorn how to make a Horcrux, then, if he'd already read that?" Ron asked after Mikayla lowered the book to rest on top of the keep pile. "He only approached Slughorn to find out what would happen if you split your soul into seven. Dumbledore was sure Riddle already knew how to make a Horcrux by the time he asked Slughorn about them. I think you're right, Hermione, that could easily have been where he got the information." Harry voiced after a moment of thought.

"The more I've read about them, the more horrible they seem, and the less I can believe that he actually made six. It warns in this book how unstable you make the rest of your soul by ripping it, and that's just by making one Horcrux!" Hermione informed the boys, who too seemed uncomfortable with the thought of the creating multiple Horcruxes. "Isn't there any way of putting yourself back together?" Ron asked, morbidly curious about the information in the book. Hermione nodded her head, a hollow smile etched on her lip as she told them that it would be excruciatingly painful.