9 - bbq

Saturday. The day of the barbecue. Why was I so nervous? It was just a friendly get together with Olly and his friends, right?

"Mumma?" I heard Joshua say from outside the door. I got out of bed and opened the door.

"Hey Joshy, hey Alf." I said, picking up Josh. "What's up?"

"We're going soon, have a good time today." He said, winking at me. Mum, Dad and Alfie were going out for the day, and I had to sadly decline as I was going to Rupert's BBQ.

"Alright, have a good time. I'll see you tomorrow or something." He nodded and kissed Josh's cheek.

"See ya later, loser." He said, walking down the stairs.

---

1:04pm.

Apparently, Jon or someone was picking me up soon.

A car appeared out the front of our house, and a man appeared. Who I remember as Jon.

"Poppy! Josh..." He said, hugging me.

I was a bit taken aback by his friendly gestures. "Er...hi, Jon right?" He nodded and opened the door for us. I put Josh in his car seat while I got in the front.

The car journey was quiet and a little bit awkward.

---

"Here we are." He said, hopping out the car and zooming round the open the door.

I remember when Olly used to do that. He always used to get pissed off when I did it myself. I laughed at the thought and shook it out of my head.

I got Josh out of the car and set him on the ground, holding onto my hand. "Ready?" Jon said, I nodded.

I've always hated barbecues since Olly and I went to one 5 years ago.

"Poppy!" Someone said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I turned around and saw Olly, with a bottle of beer in his hand.

"Hi, Olly." I said, awkwardly giving him a hug.

"Hey Joshy," he said, bending down, handing me his bottle of beer, "how are you doing?"

"Dadda!" He said, holding up his arms. Olly looked at me to see if it was alright, I nodded. He picked him up and started tickling him.

Olly put him down and Josh wandered off. I went to get him but Olly held me back. "He'll be fine. It's only the band and a couple others here."

"Who are the others?" I said, getting worried about Josh.

"Just some band...One Direction."

I nodded. In all fact, I didn't really know who One Direction were. I don't really get out much. I'm either working or looking after Joshua.

"Wanna go outside?" Olly said. I nodded.

We walked outside to where the barbecue was cooking, only about two people out here.

"Remember last time we had a barbecue?" He said, as we sat on a swing at the end of the garden.

"Don't remind me."

Basically, Olly and I had just moved into our house and and we held a barbecue. I stupidly leant over the barbecue and it burnt some of my hair off. I've basically been terrified off them ever since that day.

It's stupid I know.

"Sorry babe...i mean, Poppy." Olly said, looking down at his hands.

"W-where's Josh?" I said, leaving Olly sitting by himself on the swing. I feel guilty for leaving but I couldn't be dealing with his apologies. I'm not going to come crawling back to him. My feelings towards him have disappeared. I think.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, indicating someone's calling me.

'Jakey' appeared on the screen, I smiled.

"Hey Jakey, how's lover boy?" He sarcastically laughed.

"He's fine, I'm sort of...in his bathroom."

I almost choked on my own saliva. "you're what?!"

"So, how's life?" He asked, casually.

"I'm sorry, but aren't you going to tell me what you're doing in his bathroom?"

He chuckled. "Look behind you."

I turned around and saw Jake standing there. I rolled my eyes and walked over to him, and hugged him.

"You're a twat, you know?" He nodded and smiled.

"I know."

"What're you doing here?" I asked, grabbing a drink from the side.

"Olly invited me. Wanted us to be 'civil'. Bullshit if you ask me."

"I didn't." I said, hitting his arm.

"There's a fit man over there staring at you." He said, I went to turn my head but Jake stopped me. "No! No don't look now. Look in a minute." I nodded and waited till Jake told me to. He nodded and I looked around.

He was right. There was a man, around Olly's age, looking at me. He have me a slight smile, then looked to the ground, still smiling. "Wow." I said, turning back around.

"Well what are you waiting for? Go and talk to him!" Jake said, almost pushing me towards him. I resisted.

"I can't just go over there! What do I say? I've never done this before!" He put his hand over my mouth and his eyes drifted over to where the man was standing. Although he wasn't standing there anymore. He was making his way towards me. "Oh my god- Jake?" He was gone. Of course he was. Ugh.

"Hi, Poppy, right?" The man said, I nodded and tucked a piece of my brown hair behind my ear. "My names Ryan. One of Olly's friends."