38 - just a box

A small black box lay in my hand, not daring to open it, yet not daring to take my eyes off it.

It could be a huge misunderstanding. It could be a pair if earrings, or a pendant, or a necklace.

Not a ring.

Why would he get me a ring? Was...was he going to...propose?

No...no he wasn't.

I literally cannot tear my eyes away from it. It's only a tiny box. Who knew a tiny box can have so much meaning.

It was now 5 o'clock, and Olly was snoring away like no ones business. I was still sat on the floor, with my legs crossed, in front of this cardboard box with all his letters, holding a box. I just...don't know what to do. Should I ask Olly about it? No... I mustn't. Maybe I should try and find a letter that goes with it?

Wait, this really could just be a huge misunderstanding. Who knows what could be in the box. It's most probably a pair of earrings. He never dropped jay hints when we were together.

I need to open it. I thought to myself.

No, I can't.

I need to. I was about to open it, when Olly made a grunting sound. "Poppy?" His raspy voice murmured.

I froze, should I hide the box? Should I throw it back. He turned over and saw me, siting down, facing the other direction. He couldn't see what was in my hand. I turned my head, and smiled at him.

"What are you doing down there?" He asked, chuckling slightly.

"I...I, er, couldn't sleep. So I thought I'd read some more...letters." I managed to say, stuttering a bit.

He tore the covers off himself, pushing himself off the bed. "You don't need to-"

"What have you got there?" He asked, sitting down next to me.

"N-nothing." I lied. I was awful at lying and he knew it.

"Give it here." He joked, trying to grab it from my hand.

"No!" I accidentally shouted, covering my mouth with my hand.

"Poppy..what is it?"

He knows I've got it. He knows I've got something. He's not going to let it go that easily, is he? I turned round, with the box still in my hand. He was staring at my face, and then his gaze dropped to the box. His jaw opened a bit, before shaking his head.

"N-no." He simply said, not taking his eyes off the box. "No." He repeated.

"Olly-"

"No. Put that back." He demanded, not even wanting to touch it.

"Olly...it was in the box. What...what is it?"

"N-nothing. It's nothing. Please, put it back. Please." He sounded so desperate. I wanted to put it back, oh so much. But I couldn't. I physically couldn't.

"Were you...going to p-" I was cut off by Olly.

"No. No. I-I need to get out of here." He suddenly said, getting up, putting on some trousers and rushing out the door. I got up to follow him, but before I could even make it down the stairs he was out the front door.

What was that? Why did he react so badly to a box... It was a ring, wasn't it? I need to open this.

Josh started crying, probably due to all the commotion. I placed the box back on the bed.

I will open the box, later.