43 - red cast

Olly had fallen asleep, due to the medication the doctor had given him. Vickylynn, Pete and I were sitting in his hospital room, in a comfortable silence.

"Mumma!" I heard a voice say from the door. I turned and saw Josh, running over to me. My parents right behind him.

"Hey baby," I cooed, picking him up, "what are you doing here?"

"Is Daddy asleep? Why he got something on his arm? Why Daddy not waking up?" Josh rambled, ignoring my question. "Daddy?!"

I shushed Josh, "Daddy hurt his arm. The Doctors are helping him get better."

He ignored me again, and focused on what was coming through the door. The nurse had bought in some toys for Josh to play with to get distracted and not be so loud. I thanked her and she smiled sweetly, and left.

"I wonder how many people are outside, fans I mean. And paparazzi of course." I said.

"There was quite a few when we got here... They noticed Josh." My mum said.

I shook my head. That's not what I wanted. I just wanted my son to have a normal life, not be in the limelight of all the flashes.

Olly made a groan, and shuffled in his bed. i shot up and went straight to his side. I took hold of his good hand and stroked it with my thumb.

"Hey you, how're you feeling?"

"Tired. And my arm hurts." He replied.

"Daddy!" Josh chimed, jumping up and lifting his arms to me so I could pick him up. I obliged and gently put him on Olly's hospital bed and he curled next to Olly, cuddling him. They continued on a conversation while I moved away, taking a seat where I was just sitting.

"Where's Alfie?" I asked my parents.

"He's out on a date." My dad said, as I gasped.

"No way! With who? What's she like? Is she nice?"

"Wow, calm down. Her names Talia. She's...yeah she's lovely. Bit different. But if Alfie likes her, then what can we do?" My dad replied.

Why couldn't he be like that with Olly?

I nodded, taking in the information. The doctor came in, greeting us all. I took Josh, and he started to whine.

"The doctor's got to help Daddy get better, and with you there the doctor can't do his job!" I said, poking his nose. He giggled and jumped up, giving me a cuddle and burying his head in the crook of my head.

"Okay, we're just going to get a cast on that arm and then you're free to go. Are you okay to walk to the plaster caster room?" Olly nodded as he got up and they left.

Josh started crying as soon as the doctor shut the door. "Hey, baby. No need to cry. Remember, the doctor is helping daddy." He sniffled and nodded, giving me a bigger cuddle.

Around 15 minutes later, Olly returned with a red cast on his right arm.

"Red...like Manchester United." He said, winking at me. I rolled my eyes, slowly getting up, carrying a sleeping Josh.