21 - like old times

I shifted uncomfortably on the hospital chair for the 100th time that night. I slept by Josh's bed, holding his hand whilst Olly was on the other side, holding his other hand. Apparently they've given him some pretty strong tablets so he'll wake up when he can't feel any more pain.

I heard a gasp coming from the door. I dropped my legs from the arm of the chair and turned my head to see Alfie and...my parents.

"P-Pop..." My mother couldn't form my name. I shot up and went to give my mother a hug. She gripped me back just as hard as I did.

"Mu-mum...I..." She shushed me and kissed my hair.

"It's okay, shh, it's okay. He'll be fine." She whispered, stroking my hair.

I pulled back and gave Alfie a quick cuddle, before turning to my Dad. "Hi..."

His eyes were diverted to somewhere else. To Olly to be precise. Olly was still asleep, gripping tightly onto Josh's hand. From this view, Josh looked so small. Just one look at him, and I started to cry. Someone pulled me into a cuddle, expecting it to be mum, but from the scent, I could tell that it wasn't.

It was my dad.

"D-dad," I hiccuped, looking up at him. He looked down on me, smiling and kissed my forehead.

"I'm sorry, Pops. I'm so sorry." I nodded, indicating that his apology was accepted.

We heard a faint cough, knowing that Olly was up. I turned my head, and saw Olly looking at us, uneasily. "Mrs Dawson...Mr Dawson..Alfie," He said, standing up and nodding. "I'm just going to go..." I stopped him by grabbing his hand.

"No, please. Don't leave me." He shot me a quick smile, before nodding and standing beside me, with an arm wrapped around my waist. My dad shot him some glares and he removed his arm, me suddeny feeling cold.

"I'm going to get some coffees..." Olly said, exiting the room, Alfie following him.

"Dad..." I begin but he cut me off.

"No. Don't say anything. If he's in your life, and if I want to be in your life, I'm going to have to live with it. Let's just hope he can meet my potential again." I hugged him and then moved back to Josh. I was on his right side while mum and dad were on his left.

"W-what happened?" Mum whispered, as she stroked Josh's hand, whilst Dads hand was around her waist.

"H-he fell asleep and I put him-him on the s-sofa, and I-I put some pillows around him and I-I was t-talking to Olly in-in the bedroom and-and we...we heard a scream," I breathed slowly and continued. "We ran outside and he...he was..." I couldn't continue but someone did it for me.

"He was on the floor. He hit his head hard on the coffee table." I looked over to the door and saw Olly standing with four coffees and Alfie behind him, with a cup of water. Mum and Dad accepted the coffee's from Olly, and then he came over to me and gave one to me. He had one himself and drank it straight away.

"Olly...it's going to be hot-" I was cut off by Olly screaming in pain. 

"Holy shhhhugar!" He said, fanning his mouth. 

"I did try to warn you." I said, giggling at his actions. 

Alfie passed him his water and Olly downed it, trying to soothe his tongue. "Cheers, buddy." Olly said, handing the empty cup back to Alfie. He shook his head and laughed, throwing the plastic cup in the bin. 

---

Mum, Dad and Olly were getting on pretty well. They were talking. Which is a start, right? 

"Oi," I heard, "oi, come here." Alfie said, ushering me outside. I rolled my eyes and got up, following Alfie out of the door. "I had a word with Olly." 

"Oh god, what did you do?" I said, face-planting my faace with my hand. He laughed and rolled his eyes. 

"I just told him he better not mess this up. This is his last chance with not only you, but with the family. And Josh." I hugged him and ruffled his hair. 

"When did you get so wise, lil bro." 

"Hey, I am 15. I'm a man, basically." 

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." I said, entering the room with Alfie behind me. 

I sat back down and looked at my parents with Olly. It was exactly like before. They'd be completely oblivious to everything around them, they would just be deep in conversation. 

"...and then he was like, 'come back here, you forgot to pay!' oh god!" My dad exclaimed.  

I knew exactly what they were talking about. 

Olly, my parents, Alfie and I went on a camping holiday one year. We had found this nice restaurant, it wasn't too expensive or too cheap. We went straight in a got a table. We had a waiter, called Sam. 

"'Ello, my name is Sam. I will be your waiter." He seemed nice. Just a boy who wasn't going to interrupt us. But I was wrong. 

"And what would the beautiful girl, here, like?" He said, winking at me. I felt uncomfortable and Olly's grip on my knee tightened. 

"Ouch, Olly. You're hurting me." He took his hand off my knee and put it around my shoulders, pulling me into him. I giggled. 

"This beautiful girl, here, would like a Coke and a hamburger meal." Olly said, shooing him away. 

More into the night, he kept trying to flirt with me and Olly would get more and more aggrivated. 

"Excuse me." Olly said, heading to the mens toilets. 

"I'll be right back." I said, following him. I knocked on the mens bathroom. 

"There's no one in here, Pops." I heard Olly say, as I opened the door. 

"Wow, this brings back memories. From when we first met." He nodded in agreement. 

"Oh god, that date was awful. What did I ever see in her?" I laughed and went up to him. 

"Babe, do you want to leave? Like seriously. I couldn't give a shit about that boy that's serving us. I love you. And only you, okay?" He kissed me lightly on the lips before pulling away. "Hey, I wasn't done with that." He laughed and took my hand. 

"Let's go." We walked out of the bathroom, me getting some weird looks from the customers. "Want to do something funny? Paul, Jane, Alfie? Let's go." Mum and Dad had a bit too much to drink, so they didn't give a fuck about what we were about to do. We legged it. We made it to the car and started the engine. 

Sam came out of the restaurant, flapping his arms. "Come back here, you forgot to pay!" 

They laughed for ages at the memory. But they suddenly stopped. And I swear I stopped breathing for a bit.

"Mummy?"