39 - christmas eve

Olly had been gone since 5, and it was now 9. Where the hell could he be? If I knew he was going to freak out like he did, I would've never of shown him, hiding the box before he even woke up.

Did Olly forget that the box was in there? Or did he want me to find it?

I still haven't opened it. I can't. I can't bring myself to open it.

"Open wide, bubba." I said to Josh as he opened his mouth wide and his breakfast went it.

---

[olly's pov] wow

I didn't know where I was going. I just need to get away. I-I couldn't.

I bolted out the house, getting in my car and driving. After a couple of hours of driving, I found myself at my parents front door.

I knocked a couple of times, hoping they will be awake, considering it's 8 o'clock in the morning.

"Olly?" My mum said, opening the door.

"Hey mum," I croaked, "can I come in?" She nodded her head, pulling the door open further and allowing me to come in.

"Sit down and I'll make you a nice cup of tea."

"Thanks, mum."

I sat in silence, not even sure where to begin thinking. How could I be do stupid? Leave that stupid box in there with all those letters. I completely forgot. I never wanted her to find that box. Why would i, when I fucked up our past.

"Here you go. Now what's wrong?"

I smiled in gratitude and took a sip.

"You know...before I went in X Factor, I told you I wanted...to spend the rest of my life with Poppy...and that I was going to...propose?" She nodded, "well...Poppy found the ring. I don't know why I'm freaking out about it, but I messed our past so much. I mean, we could've been married now, maybe even had more kids. We'd still be living in our house that I promised to pay after I came back from X Factor. I'd be her husband. She's be my wife. I just...i messed up her past, I don't want to mess up her future as well."

Mum nodded, listening to my every word. "Olly. It's Christmas Eve. Don't think about this right now. You need to spend Christmas with your family. Poppy loves you. She's not going to leave you because she found a ring. Just go back home, she's probably worried sick."

She was right. She was always right.

"Happy Christmas Eve, son."

---

I came home half an hour later, quietly opening the door. I heard the giggles coming from Poppy and Josh in the living room.

I caught a glimpse of Josh, and Poppy who was decorating the tree, her back faced to me.

"Daddy! We're making the tree pretty!" Josh said, as Poppy turned around, giving me a weak smile. She dropped the tinsel and walked over to me.

"I'm sorry.." She started, but I shook my head.

"Let's forget about it. Now, who wants help decorating the tree?" Josh giggled as I picked him up, pulling Poppy into a hug with Josh and I.

We spent the next two hours trying to decorate the tree, when really we were just throwing tinsel over ourselves and the whole house. I could tell that Poppy wanted to talk to me. But I couldn't. She's going to ask me all these questions that I can't answer. That I don't want to ask her.

Like why was I going to propose. How I was going to propose. Why I left the box in there. All these questions that will remind me of the terrible and awful thing I did. How I left my pregnant girlfriend alone. I just can't stand what I did.

I love her more than anything in the world. She's my everything. And I've just got her back. I can't lose her again. I'm surprised she was even still here when I got back. I thought she would've taken off and ran to the highest mountain to try and get away from me before I break her heart again.

"Olly?" Her perfect, angelic voice bought me out of my trance, as I glanced up at her.

"Hey you." I said, holding my arms up so she can sink into them. She sat on my lap, and I wrapped my arms around her, kissing her temple.

"Olly...about the box...what is it? I can't...I can't bring myself to open it." He admits, looking down at our hands.

I sighed. "I'll leave that for you to find out in the future."