98:Chris Imagine for @BlueRaspberry1142

For BlueRasberry1142

Just to preface, I know it isn't just like the movie, but I feel like it would be at least a little different if he was talking to someone else, you know? So please do not leave me hate comments about it being different. Thank you.

You tossed and turned in your sleeping bag. You couldn't get comfortable, and you just couldn't sleep. Finally, you decided to just sit up.

You looked around and noticed Gordie shaking and groaning in his sleep. Chris, who was on guard duty, was sitting next to him, trying to sooth him out of his nightmare.

Once Chris got up and took his place at the base of the tree again, you got up and sat next to him, yawning, and laying your head on his shoulder.

"Hey, Chris," you whispered.

"Hey, Ava," he whispered back.

"Something's been on my mind," you replied.

"Shoot."

You took a breath, trying to decide how to word your thoughts. "Well, why don't you do the college classes with Gordie? I know you could do it."

He let out a dry laugh and shook his head. "That'll be the day."

"Why do you say that?" You lifted your head to look at him, your eyebrows furrowed. "You're smart enough."

"They won't let me." He looked down. "It's the way the people in this town look at my family, the way they look at me. I'm just one of those low-life Chambers kids."

"Don't say that about yourself," you insisted, upset that he would even dare say those things, even though you knew people really thought them.

"It's true, though," he pressed on. "No one even asked if I took the milk money. They just gave me a three-day vacation."

Befre you could think better of it, you asked "Did you take it, Chris?"

He gave you a look. "Of course I took it. Teddy knew I took it. Gordie knew. Everyone knew I took it. Even Vern knew it, I think." He breathed heavily, and his face hardened slightly. "But pretend that I gave it back."

"I knew it," you commented quietly. You had always thought the best of Chris.

"And suppose that I gave it to Old Lady Simons, and all the money was there. But I still got a three-day vacation because it never showed up, and maybe Old Lady Simons showed up on Monday with a new skirt."

Your eyes widened. "I know the one. That bitch. I even complimented her on it."

He sighed. "Do you think they believed me, Chris Chambers, kid brother to Eyeball Chambers? No." You could see the emotion building up in him. "I just never thought a teacher- oh who gives a fuck anyway?" Tears spilled from his eyes.

"I do," you replied, harshly. You hated seeing him this way. "Gordie does." You put your arm around his shoulders and pulled him towards you.

He lifted his head from his pulled up knees. "I just.. wish that I.. could go someplace where no... one knows me," he managed out between sobs.

"Shh.. One day, you'll go somewhere, and everyone will know your name for some better reason than having a bad family reputation." You tightened your hug around him as he began to sob. "Shhh.." you coaxed him.

He slowly calmed down enough to look up at you. His eyes were red and a little puffy from crying. He gave you a grateful look. "Ava, you should go on back to bed. Your shift is up soon, and you need sleep."

Understanding that he wanted some time to himself, you began to make your way back to your sleeping bag, but not before leaving a kiss on Chris's cheek. You curled back into the now cold sleeping bag and drifted back to sleep, Chris being the only thing on your mind.

Iffy, but I hope you like it and I'm super sorry at how long it took me to write this! Idk why but I had major writer's block w this one. Hopefully I'll finish the last couple requests from forever ago, and I'll try to write some of my own imagines. Preference ideas would be fine tho. M'kay.

~Mariah