II/03

THE SUN beamed in Athena's house as Kacey placed her shades on. Surprisingly it was a nice sunny day in New York. The weather sometimes could be extremely bipolar.

Kacey watched as her mom helped Major put together puzzle pieces they had bought him as, she sat down with a quiet Kaija in her lap. "So, hows everything with, Montana? You never have me an update on what's going on." Athena questioned her daughter looking up.

"Well, we have our court date coming up in a few weeks. I don't really know how to feel about it."

"You don't know how you feel about it? Honey the court date is coming up, you ain't got that much time. You need to make your decision if you want to be with him or not, y'all need to make that decision, cause once the divorce is finalized, that's it."

"Ma, I really don't know." She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear, "We've been constantly arguing over stupid things and this relationship hasn't been the same. I love him but I know everyday he is falling out of love with me. And I'm not going to chase after someone who already has their mind set."

"Baby, you don't know that. Have you talked to him? You tell me all the time how you guys argue, but do you sit down and actually have a conversation without the bickering back and forth."

"No, because with our smart mouths we're not capable of that." She rolls her eyes as she takes a piece of the puzzle trying to place it in the correct spot.

"You guys are acting real childish. For gods sake you guys have children together."

"What does that mean? That we should stay together because of the kids? That's stupid."

"No." She shook her head, "I'm saying, you need to grow up."

"Last time you were all against me being with Montana because he hit me and now you want us together. Ma, make up your mind."

"First off, watch your tone. And secondly, he shouldn't have hit you, but you shouldn't have said what you said either. Not every relationship is perfect. You guys vowed through better or worst."

"Mama we've been to counseling. Once after It, we're all good and this loving couple, next we act like we hate each other. Then we're back at counseling and back at the loving stage and then we're at the hating stage. We've separated once and got back together and now we're back at square one. It's a damn pattern. I'm not going to keep wasting my time when there are plenty of other guys who would love to have me as their wife. Not every marriage works out."

Athena stood up from the carpet dusting her pants off, "Gimme Kaija."

Kacey handed Kaija to her mom and Athena took the baby.

"Come on, Major. Let's go watch cartoons. I need to talk to your mommy." Athena walked With the the kids into the bedroom.

Minutes later Athena came back sitting next to her daughter.

Athena looked at Kacey and studied her for a minute. Kacey looked at her weirdly before she chuckled, "What?"

"Who is he?" Athena squinted her eyes looking at her daughter.

Kacey chuckles, "Who is who? Here you—go acting all weird."

"Kacey." She eyed her. "You been looking at your phone every minute, obviously waiting for a text or something and now you're nonchalant with this whole Montana talk. I been there before so, who is he?"

Kacey sighed not sure if she wanted to tell her mom about Gunner. It wasn't nothing serious going on between them, and she didn't want her mom turning the situation into something it wasn't.