Chaoter 53

Tyler picked me up and brought me to our appointment. He insisted he join even though I didn't expect him to. Tyler stayed by my side the whole appointment. Holding my hand as the doctor does the ultrasound.

"Hm." The doctor has a puzzled look on her face.

"What? What's wrong?" Tyler leans over to look at the monitor.

"When did you say your last period expected to start?" She asks.

"Uhm. 6 weeks ago I think" I give a rough estimate.

"And it happened a few weeks before that.. ya know." Tyler gestures towards my gel covered stomach. The doctor gives him a smile.

"I appreciate the details. So Was this planned?" She says as she continues moving the wand around. "I mean you seem to know the exact encounter you conceived, usually people have no idea when it is accidental" she explains her intrusive question.

I feel my face get red and look at Tyler. He takes the hint and answers for me. "No actually. Were usually very careful, but that one time we were at a party, I was very intoxicated and uh.. it just happened." His face gets red as he admits it.

"Ahh I see. Have you gone over your options?" She begins wiping the gel off my stomach and takes her gloves off.

"Kind of. I wanted to do this first before I- I mean we make a decision." I say

"Well. I actually had trouble finding anything on the ultrasound. I'm going to draw blood to make sure if you're ok with that?" She asks with a smile

"What does that mean? You couldn't find anything?" Tyler questions

"No I couldn't see anything in the uterus on the ultrasound so I'm going to check your hormone levels via your blood." The doctor explains.

She takes my blood and we wait a while for the results.

When the doctor returns she has a puzzled look on her face.

"What?" Tyler prompts her

"Well. Your hormone levels suggest that you are pregnant,"

"But?" Tyler's leg is bouncing a mile a minute. I can tell he's more nervous than I am, which I didn't think was possible.

"..but there are other hormone levels that are concerning to me." She finally says.

I feel my heart sink lower into my stomach. "What do you mean?" I ask

"I mean there are other elevated hormone levels that are pointing to more concerning things. I'd like to run further tests if you're okay with that, sweetie?" She asks me.

"More concerning? What is more concerning than having a baby at 16?" Tyler's voice is shaking

"I unfortunately can't say anymore in front of you without her consent." She responds to his question.

"It's fine. You can say it. I want him in here" I give permission. I can't imagine any news worse than being pregnant, but if this is worse, I can't imagine facing alone.

"Well your hCG levels are high, which points towards pregnancy. That would explain the positive Home pregnancy test. However, your CA-125 levels are also elevated which is concerning to me because it can mean some more intrusive conditions"

"What kind of conditions?" My voice is shaky

"There are a number. Endometriosis, liver disease, fibroids, but the main thing I want to rule out is ovarian cancer. It is unlikely but I can't be sure until we run more tests"

Tears are pouring down my face. I wish I was just pregnant at this point. Tyler has my head cradled in his arms as I cry.

"Are you sure?" Tyler takes it upon himself to be my voice since I clearly cannot.

"Now this could be due to other things, but I'd like to check to be sure. I just wanted to give you all of the facts. I can't disclose any information without your consent, but I understand this is a lot to take in. I can contact your parents and inform them if you'd like, sweetie."

I lift my head from Tyler's now soaked chest and manage to shake my head. "I don't want to have to explain why I came in. Can I wait until we know for sure?" I ask

"Of course. It's your decision." She says grabbing my hand and giving it a light squeeze. "I'll get you in for those tests in the next hour so you don't have to worry about coming back in." She walks towards the door "You're lucky to have such a caring young man in your life" she says and with that she lets the door close tightly behind her.

She isn't wrong.