Chapter 62

"B hunny, can you run to the store please?" My mom hollers from the kitchen.

I walk down the hall to see her "what do you need?" I ask

"I forgot to get cranberries for the sauce. Do you mind going to get some?"

"Ya. no worries, mom. I'll head there now"

•••

I pull my car into an open spot and head into the grocery store. The store is packed full of last minute shoppers. I wander the aisles looking for the cranberries. Just as I locate the berries I hear a thud behind me. I turn to see an elderly man on the floor.

I rush to his side to check on him. He's fallen unconscious, breathing erratic and shallow.

"Someone call 911!" I shout

The surrounding people are beginning to swarm and draw attention to the situation.
I hear someone confirm that they are calling 911. The mans breathing stops and I begin cpr.

"Excuse me!" I hear a mans voice shout over the noise.

"Hi, I'm an off duty paramedic, How is he?" The man asks as he approaches. He immediately checks the mans vitals and offers to take over compressions for me.

I shake my head. "Maybe check his arm. He hit it pretty hard off that shelf and looks like it's bleeding" I point out

The paramedic lifts the mans sleeve to expose a large gash and visibly broken wrist.
"Fuck" he mumbles before taking immediate action.

He removes his own shirt and begins making a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. "Last resort, sorry." He apologizes for his indecency

"Priorities" I agree with his actions

The ambulance arrives and medics bring in a stretcher. I fill them in on the incident and his status as they take over compressions.

"Can't catch a break eh, smith. You're always working" the medic says the the man who was helping me.

My breath hitches as I put the pieces together. I look at the off duty paramedic as he converses with the other medics updating them on his status. His back is facing me. His shoulders are broad, his biceps visibly strong.

"Hey quick reaction. You did aweso-" He cuts his own thought off when he makes eye contact with me. "B?" I guess he didn't notice either.

His blonde hair is cut short around the sides with a scruffy, but well kept beard. His blue eyes still sparkle, and his smile whiter than ever. And his body- I can confirm that the man did not stop training.

"Babe that was amazing!" A woman comes and wraps herself around his arm. "You were amazing! I'm Kate." She says extending her hand to me with a sweet smile.

"B" I reply as I accept her handshake.

"Nice to meet you, B. This is my fiancé, Tyler." She motions towards him.

A feel a ball in my throat at the word fiancé. I don't know why, but it hurt a little. I never expected to see him again, let alone shirtless and hitched.

"Ya we uh, I think we've met before a while ago." Tyler said. "Played ball with her brother. Tanner right?" He plays it off.

"Ya. Quarterback ?" I play along.

"That was me. Different time, different person now." He looks at Kate. "Very different person" he clarifies.

"Well. I should get going. These cranberries aren't going to cook themselves" I say holding up a bag of cranberries. "It was nice to meet you Kate. Nice to uh, see you again, Ty"

"You too!" Kate chimes.
"I thought you hated being called Ty" I hear Kate say as I walk away.

"Ya. Only ever let one person really called me that, and I don't want to ever remember them" I can hear the frustration in his voice.

Ouch.

THE END

I'm planning on continuing the story in a short part 2! Keep your eyes open for that :)
Thanks for reading!