Chapter 34

•••
A week came and went before my parents were comfortable with me returning to school. I ended up having a laceration on my head, a concussion, broken arm, bruising: both internal and external, and internal tearing from force.

The past week has been so gruelling. I have spent my days in my room, watching tv, drawing, reading and playing guitar. My friends would come over in the evenings after school to cheer me up and drop off missed school assignments.

My mom and dad have been hovering a lot more than usual. I understand they're just making sure I'm okay after everything, but they're driving crazy.

Tanner and I have had a chance to talk about Tyler. We had it out, there was a lot of frustration, anger, yelling and some tears. But in the end he has agreed to give me some space to make my own decisions- whether he think he they're good or not.

Tyler and I haven't seen each other since the hospital. I'll see him today at school, and hopefully get to talk to him about everything. He's been texting me non stop, we both agreed to have any serious conversations in person. Both about us, and what happened.

I finish getting ready for school and make my way down the stairs. Mom hands me my lunch, and dad hands me my breakfast on my way out the door. Tanner is waiting in his car for me. I hop in the passenger side and we head to school.

We pull into the student parking lot, tanner shuts the car off. He releases a large sigh and turns to me. "Listen, B. If anyone gives you a hard time today please let me know."

"I doubt anyone will" I roll my eyes at him and grab for the door handle.

Tanner reaches over and slams the door shut before I get a chance to get out. "I'm serious. Kids are all kinds of fucked up, I wouldn't put it past some of these jerks to make snide comments about, ya know.."

I feel a lump form in my throat. I swallow hard. I hadn't even thought about that. I was excited to get back to school, until now. Now I'm not so sure. My stomach starts to knot at the idea of anyone bringing it up.

"Hey, don't worry. You have enough friends that they won't let anyone get to you. And if someone does say something let me know and I'll take care of them." Tanners voice is comforting. "Alright! We better get in there!" He finishes before hopping out of the car and walking around to open my door for me.

We approach the large doors at the entry of the school. Tanner pulls them open and we walk in. I keep my head down. Avoiding any potential conversing. I feel a hundred eyes on us as we walk towards my locker. My face is hot with embarrassment. I feel ashamed and disgusting. Tanner reach his hand to my shoulder and gives it a squeeze. "You know where to find me." He says with a smile before going up the stairs.

I open my locker and grab my books. I pull my phone out to check it before heading into homeroom.

Tyler: can't wait to see you today. Xo

He manages to pry a smile from my lips. I open the message and respond

Me: I'm already dreading today. Is this day over yet??

I lock my phone and shove it in my pocket as I walk through the door.