Chapter 44

Tyler Smith

I'm pissed with myself for letting Ashley get that close to me. I'm fucking pissed that I ever entertained her stupid games in the past. She fucking ruined everything.

B hasn't returned my calls all week. She's been avoiding me since Monday- avoiding everyone it seems. Even her friends said she's been MIA all week. I'll do anything at this point to get a moment alone with her, to get even a second to try to explain everything. There's one thing I can think of that may help me..

I waited at my truck after class until I saw Tanner.
"TANNER!" I shouted when I spotted him walking to his car.

"Oh. Hey" he says dryly. She definitely told him everything.

"Hey man. How is B? She hasn't said a word to me sinc-"

"Since she caught you sucking face with your snake of an ex?" He cuts me off, raising an eye brow at me.

"No. It's not like that. She came onto me. I was waiting to talk to B and make sure she was okay after uh.." I cut myself off once I realized the line I just crossed

"ya stop. I'm not about to relive seeing that photo of you two." Tanner shakes his head Starting to walk away

"Wait." I say

Tanner walks up to me so we're merely inches apart. "You know man. I gave you a chance that I didn't fucking want to give you. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, hoping maybe B was right about you. But guess what? Looks like I was right. You'll never change, you're just absorbed in whatever little kind of attention you can get from any female that has a heartbeat. I'm not letting my sister be with a low life scumbag like you." He spits before shoving my chest and walking towards his car.

•••

My heart feels heavier than it ever has as I drive home alone. It's been nearly two weeks since I've had an actual meaningful conversation with B. I can't stand to think about her being upset, let alone being upset because of me. I typically would turn right at the big church to go to my house, but I find myself turning left and heading back towards town. Towards B's house.

I pull into her driveway where only her mothers car is parked. Thank god Tanner isn't home. I walk up to the door and knock lightly, praying someone answers.

The door cracks open revealing B's mom.

"Hi Mrs. Is B home?" My voice is shaky

"Listen, I don't know what you've done to her.." my heart drops "but you better March on up there and fix it." She shoots my a hopeful smile before letting me in.

"Thank you. I really hope I can" I respond as I flip my shoes off and practically run to her room.