Chapter 61

7 years later

I was dreading returning to my home town since last visit turned out so terribly. I ended up getting in an argument with my dad and left in a rage. I'm only hoping that the Christmas spirit can maybe mend any left over tension between us. I left 4 years ago after graduation and never returned, aside from holidays or visits.

My brother left for school and returned shortly after he got his degree. He met his now wife, and they're expecting their first little one. It's definitely weird to think about, I feel like I'm still 17 and my friends getting pregnant is scandalous. Regardless, I'm so excited to be welcoming someone new into the family.

I loaded my bags in my new car and started my journey. My mom called an hour into my drive to check when I would be arriving.

"Hey, b! When will you be here? We can't wait to see you!" Her voice chimed through the Bluetooth.

"Uhm like two hours give or take." I respond

"Perfect. Drive safe hunny! "

"I will. Bye, mom" I say as I cut her off and end the call.

I listened to old music all the way there. I don't know why, but every time I return home I insist on listening to music that was popular when I was in high school.. just to torture myself even more.

A few clues later I pull into my parents drive way. I see my mom poke her head out the front door and wave. Seconds later she has shoes on and is running to meet me at my car. Typical.

I'm greeted with a warm, tight hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"I'm so glad you're home." She says and she pulls away.

"Let me help you with your bags." I hear from behind us. I turn around and see my dad already grabbing my bags from the trunk. "Nice car! When did you get this beaut?!" He asks

"Picked it up last week! Figured it was about time to trade in the old civic for something a little more.. modern" I laugh

"Well you definitely did good, kiddo! Can't go wrong with a Beamer!" He smiles wide at me.

No tension what so ever. Thank god.

"Come hunny, it's cold out here!" My mom says as she drags me into the house. "You can stay in your old room as usual." My mom motions up the stairs where my dad is headed with my things.

"Thanks mom. I'm going to go to bed I think. I had a long day and don't want to be tired for Christmas tomorrow." I turn to head up the stairs but remember I forgot to say something. "hey mom." I get her attention. "I'm glad to be home for the holidays" I add with a smile

"Me too baby." She kisses my cheek once more. "have a good night. Love you" she finished before heading towards the kitchen.

I finish my way up the stairs and thank my dad for bringing my things.

My room has yet to change since I lived here. Same wall colour, same bed, same lay out. Talk about blast from the past every time I step foot in it. So many memories.

I shake it off and get myself ready for bed. I can't help but let my mind wander to old times as I drift off to sleep.