Chapter 32

My eyes are heavy as I open them. My hands make their way to my face, rubbing them as they try to adjust to the bright lights above me.

"She's awake!" A familiar voice says

I turn in the direction of the voice.
"Mom?" My voice is strained

"Hi B. It's me, we're all here" she says motioning towards a clump of faces. I scan each one: Anna, Brett, Emily, and my dad. "Tanner is just gone out to get something for you." She continues, her hand in mine.

"How are you feeling kiddo?" My dads voice is overflowing with concern, and anger. "We've been here all night waiting for you to wake up. I can't believe.. I just-"his fingers clamp the bridge of his nose, his head shaking at the thought of what had happened.

"Where am I?" I begin to study my surroundings, all I can make out is white, and lots of lights.

"You're in the hospital, the ambulance rushed you here. You passed out after losing blood from the cut on your head. You've been sleeping since we got here a few hours ago." My moms voice is soft and soothing. Her hands brushing through my hair as she speaks. "I'm so glad you're okay. The police need to speak with you whenever you're ready, baby"

The memories start rushing back to me, I cringe at the thought. "Are they here? Can I just get it over with now? I don't ever want to think about it again.."

"Yes I can go get them for you if you want,B. I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you. I should have never let you go alone. I should have been there." Brett says before she turns to leave the room.

I pipe up so she hears me before she's too far, "It isn't your fault, Brett. Please don't blame yourself."

A short, stalky man walks into the room. He has jet black hair, and a distinct jaw line. His shirt is so tight his muscles look like they're going to break through his sleeves.

"Hi, B. I'm detective Daniels, you can call me Dave." He says with a slight smile. "I'm going to have to ask your guests to leave the room for this, if that's okay?"

"Yea that's fine" My parents and friends shuffle out of my room and close the door behind them.

Detective Daniels pulls a chair up beside my hospital bed. He sits down and reveals a clip board. "I'm really sorry to hear about what happened. Do you mind running me through what you remember?"

"Uhm. I went to the tree like to go for a pee because the bathroom line was so long. As I fear doing up my shorts he came out of nowhere and forced himself on me. I don't really remember much after he tied my hands" I lift my arms to demonstrate, it isn't until now that I noticed that my arm is in a cast.

"Do you remember what he was wearing? What he looked like?"

"He was tall, wide shoulders. Dark hair. His face was rough feeling, and his eyes.." I shutter at the memory of his daunting eyes.

"His eyes?" The detective prompts

"They were awful." A tear escapes my eye at the memory.

"Listen, I think I have enough here from witnesses as well as what you've just told me." He clicks his pen closed and stands up. "If you think of anything in the next few days that could be of use to myself, give me a call." he places his card on the tray next to my bed. "I'm sorry we had to meet under these conditions." He adds as he smiles and walks towards the door.

My moms worried face appears at the door. "Sweety, the nurses have to run some tests now that you're awake, okay? We will be right out here. " she motions to the hallway. I nod to her as she steps aside to allow a slim nurse through the door.