Chapter 19

I get tanner to drop me off at Brett's house Friday after supper.
I let myself in and go straight up to her room.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. Tanner took his sweet time" I say as I open the door. Anna and Brett are sitting on the bed deciding on jewelry, which Emily sits in front of the mirror applying makeup. I throw my bag on the chair next to Brett's bed and join Emily by the mirror. My face needs all the help it can get.

Once I finish my face, I apply setting spray to hold everything in place. I strip down to my bra and underwear to slip into my dress.

"Hm. What's that from?" Anna says as she jabs at my inner thigh. I looks down and see a very apparent mark that is now fading into a bruise. Of course, Tyler was the artist behind that, but I can't tell them that..

"Uhm I don't know, I noticed it yesterday. I have no clue what it's from!" I act totally confused by the mark.

"Ya ya, bullshit. Who is it from?! You never told me you had a man, or hooked up with anyone!" Brett exclaims with a stern look on her face.

"Shush!! I don't want anyone to hear that and get the wrong idea!" I snap at her

"well then tell us who it's from!" Emily chimes in

"I for real don't know what it's from!" I quickly slide the dress up over my bum so they can't see the mark anymore. "Drop it you guys!" Anna walks over to help me zip into my dress.

"Holy. Mysterious love bite, and now a sexy black dress? B this isn't normally like you! Whatever is behind that bruise is lucky." Brett says with a sarcastic wink.

"Ugh you guys are driving me nuts. Are you ready to go?" I grab the remainder of my things and open the door.

•••

We wait in line to get stamped into to dance. I immediately walk toward the coat check to drop my things off before we head into the dance. The speakers are blasting an upbeat song. there are sweaty teenagers flooding the floor, dancing all over one another. The girls and I walk towards the back of the room and claim a table to sit at before joining everyone on the dance floor.

Countless songs came and went. The girls and I had been screaming the lyrics and dancing our hearts out. As the song that had been playing came to a close, Brett leaned over to me.
"That guy you danced with at the home coming party has been staring at you since he got here" she said into my ear giving a slight directional nod of her head.

I follow her gaze and find myself making eye contact with Tyler. He's leaning against the wall in a row of tall athletic guys. He looks as handsome as ever- suited in dark jeans, a black shirt and a bow tie. A sexy grin spreads across his face as he winks at me from across the room.

Just then something jabs me in the side. I jolt my head in the direction in cane from to investigate. It was Brett.
"ITS FROM HIM ISNT IT." She yells. Instantly I feel my face turn a dark shade of red. Ugh. Leave it to Brett to put two and two together.

The rest of the girls turn their heads towards us in confusion.
"What's from who?" Emily questions

"Nothing, I got a weird message the other day and I thought I figured out who it's from. I was wrong though" she responds quickly to cover my ass.

"Oh. Weird." Emily says as she spins back into the dance circle.

I make eye contact with Brett again. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
"How?" She mouthed at me.
I rolled my eyes and continued dancing, ignoring the question.