Chapter 35

Tyler

I haven't seen B since the night everything happened. I talked to- or should I say pleaded tanner and he allowed me to see her to make sure she was okay. I have no idea where we stand, but none of that matters to me right now. All I care about is that my B is okay, and nobody says anything snide to her.

I can't wait to see her.

I hear my phone go off. I pull it out, hoping it's her.

B: I'm already dreading today. Is this day over yet??

I feel my heart sink at the thought of her being upset.

Me: are you doing okay? Is there anything I can do?

I know she won't answer until after she's out of first period. I put my phone in my bag and head outside to workout.

•••

I hop out of the shower and dry off. I grab my phone from my bag to see if B has responded yet. Nothing.  I get dressed, grab my things and head out of the change room. I walk towards B's locker. I lean myself against it and wait for the bell to ring.

*RING*
The ringing of the dismissal bell echoes through the halls.

I see B walking towards me. Her head is down, shoulders slouched forward, Her steps are slow. I can tell she isn't herself.
She raises her head as she approaches her locker. Her eyes are red, her sweet face is streaked with tears. My heart drops to my feet at the sight of her sad.

I walk towards her, meeting her half way. I don't care that we haven't talked about what we are. All I care about is her, and she clearly is not okay. Without a word I wrap her in my arms. I feel her weight fall into me. Her breathing is heavy as she begins crying into my chest.

"Hey what happened?" I whisper into her ear.

She pulls her head away from my body so I can see her face.

"Tanner was right. Someone said something. How can people be so me-mean?" She chokes on her words as her tears begin to flow again.

"You're coming with me" I cup her face with my hands, my thumbs wiping her tears from her heartbroken eyes.

Before she has a chance to say anything I grab her hand and drag her outside with me. I pick her up and carry her to the passenger side of my truck. opening to door and setting her in the seat, I buckle her in and kiss her forehead before rounding my way to the drivers side.

"You don't need any of that bullshit. We can try this again tomorrow." I grab her hand and give it a reassuring squeeze.
I peel out of the student parking lot and head towards my spot.

"Tyler where are you taking me?" Her voice is quiet.

"You'll see. You'll be fine, I promise"
I remain calm on the exterior for B's sake. If she only knew how I really felt. How I wanted to kill the person who did this to her. I wanted march back into that school and make the idiot pay for what he said to her to make her feel so worthless. My heart is breaking seeing her, and knowing I can't do anything more than be there for her.

I pull my truck into the field by my house. I hop out and proceed to open B's door. I offer my hand to her as she jumps out. We walk hand in hand through the field until we reach the middle of the tracks. I help B to sit on the edge of the train bridge.

"I come here when I need to be close to my brother. When I need a break from reality. When I need to think, when I'm overwhelmed, frustrated, upset. You name it. This is my spot to calm down." I explain as I sit next to her, Our feet are dangling over the road. "I figured you could use the break from reality right now." I lean over and wrap my arm around her, pulling her closer to me.

She nuzzles her head into the crook of my arm and releases a large breath. I feel her tense body relax in my arms. "Thank you. I really do need a break from reality right now." Her voice is still quiet.

"Anything for my girl." I say. I feel a smile grow across my face. I'll never get tired of saying that.