Chapter 11

The girls followed closely in my footsteps as I made my way to the deck. I reached down and yanked open the big, blue cooler and handed each of them a beer.

"I told tanner I would bring him a drink. I'll be right back!" I say in a rush trying to avoid having them trail behind me.
I scurry into the house with two drink and jolt down the hallway until they are out of sight. I feel my stomach tense as I climb the stairs. Each step I take becoming more anxious.
"It's okay B. You're going to be fine " I told myself in my head as I reached the top of the staircase.
I look down the hall and see Tyler's bedroom door is cracked slightly open. I reach the opening and hesitantly creek the door open ever so gently. I poke my head in to find Tyler spinning on his desk chair reading a book.
"Wow this is not what I was expecting." I think to myself

"Knock, knock." I chime as I open the door.

"Oh sorry. Harper lee consumes me. Didn't realize you were up here already! Have a seat!" He motions toward the bed.

"Harper lee, huh? What'cha got there?" I ask playfully. I snatch it from his hand on my way to the bed. I turn the book over and find myself in disbelief.
"You read this kind of stuff?" I ask shocked. I look down at the book I had taken once again: To kill a mockingbird

"Erm. Ya" he says. He eases his right hand and scratches the back of his neck before continuing his thought. "Reading and literature is kind of my escape, I guess. " he says quietly. He looks up at me with a shy smile, as thought he was embarrassed by this.

I furrow my brow, slightly confused by his response. "You guess? Why do you seem embarrassed by this?" I ask letting out a slight giggle. "I have never met a guy that takes time to read. Especially THIS." I say waving the book in front of me with a wide grin on my face. "This is my favourite book."

"No way! Are you serious?" He questions me.

"Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit em, bu-"

"But remember, it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." He cuts me off and finishes the quote for me. "Wow. You really are something else aren't you, B?"
He rises from the desk chair with a smile and makes his way towards me. He sits down next to me on his bed, he turns his head so we are looking into each other's eyes. "There's something about you. I don't quite know what it is, but I find it irresistible." He says in a slow, deep tone. He licks his lips as he takes in every inch of my face- pausing at my mouth. He catches himself and returns his gaze to my eyes. He lets out a chuckle, rising his right hand to tuck a stray strand of my hair behind my ear. He traces his fingers down my jaw line and rests his hand on my cheek. "What are you doing to me, b?" He asks.

I reach my left hand up and touch his hand that's still holding my face. I trace his knuckles with my fingers, continuing down his forearm. My eyes follow my own tracing fingers until they come to a halt. I grab his forearm as thought he is stabilizing me. His skin was hot to the touch, like I could feel the blood rushing through his veins. I glance back up at him, he is still taking in every inch of my face. I feel my face become flush, I bite my bottom lip nervously.

"Oh god. I can't." he mutters under his breath As he closed the gap between us. He uses his hand to tilt my head to match his, pressing his mouth against mine.