Chapter 71: Two Birds

Some time ago....

A portal closes behind Nichi and Elias. The two held hands and looked at the surrounding area. Snow covered their shoes. They moved forward towards a forest. Elias held Nichi's hand tighter than earlier.

Nichi: Eli, you wanna talk?

He let go of her hand and took a deep breath in. The breath was interrupted as he shut his eyes tight. An aura of light surrounded his body. He clenched a fist and hit a tree in front of him. Nichi moved back, grabbing Elias' arm and taking him with her. The tree fell near them, the ground shook slightly.

Nichi: Eli?

Elias: If only we hadn't left. We might have been able to help them.

Nichi: ...we wouldn't have survived such a horde alone.

Elias: We could have tried!

Nichi hit his arm.

Nichi: We would have ALL died. Our parents aren't exactly made for running.

Elias: I-

Footsteps were heard from behind them. The two looked over immediately, a boy with a star under his left eye and brown hair. He grinned and an aura of light surrounded him. Elias pushed Nichi behind him immediately.

?: Hey, before you do anything stupid, listen. Join us, and none of you have to get hurt.

Elias: And you would be?

?: A messenger...no... a warning.

Elias: Just tell me your fucking name.

?: You don't get to make demands here.

The stranger put his hand forward and a sword flew towards Elias. Nichi put her hand towards Elias and gave him her life force, making him immune to the hit.

?: Oh?

Nichi: Just go away. We aren't interested in whatever you want us to do.

?: Are those your last words?

Nichi put her foot forward.

Nichi: Bite me.

Elias stood next to her, the aura of light surrounded him again.

?: Can't say I didn't try.

The strange boy summoned a double edged sword and stood, waiting on the two. Elias ran forward, aiming to hit the strange boy with his fist. As the boy swung his sword down, Elias moved to the left quickly and went to hit the boy in the ribs. The boy moved back and to the right, placing himself behind Elias and swinging his sword down once again. Nichi put her hand forward again, protecting Elias from the boy's attack. The boy noticed this and kicked Elias down on the ground.

The boy snapped his finger and a sword flew from behind him towards Nichi. The sword drove through her ribs. Elias pupils shrunk immediately as he look at her. Nichi fell down, she held onto the wound as the sword disappeared. Elias turned his head towards the boy immediately and noticed him smirk. The moment Elias made any move to attack him, the boy put his hand forward and Elias was sent back by the wind. Elias hit a tree behind him and lost his breath.

?: How disappointing.

The boy made a tossing motion with his hand, a monstra who had been hiding nearby walked out.

?: If you do survive this Eli, make sure not to fail anyone else. Be seeing you.

The boy walked away as the monstra began running towards Nichi. Elias, on the ground, looked up to see what the monstra was. It was a chimera, a snake, goat, and lion hybrid. Elias hit his fist against the ground and got up immediately. His vision was clouded by anger, he ran quicker than the chimera towards Nichi. The moment him and the monstra were face to face, Elias, with all his strength, hit the goat's face towards the ground. He jumped up over it and grabbed the snake part of the monstra, he squeezed the base of it until all that was left in his hand was mush.

The chimera stood bipedally now, the lion's head roared. Elias took the chance and jumped forward quickly, knocking the monstra back and staying on top of it. He began beating down on the lion's face, blood beginning to cover him. He grabbed the goat's horns and twisted the chimera's neck, almost ripping it off. The monstra, now beginning to disappear, left Elias covered in blood entirely. Elias shook his hand, trying to get some blood off. He ran towards Nichi immediately and grabbed her up, covering her wound as well.

Elias: Chi, do not fall asleep on me here.

She put her hand on his cheek.

Elias: Talk to me, please.

His voice cracked, tears began showing.

Nichi: ...cold...

Elias a bit deeper into the forest while carrying her. He gently and quickly put her down, laying back on a tree. He grabbed sticks, stone and some chunks of wood rapidly and walked back over to her. He began making a small campfire next to them, trying to keep it as warm as possible. Once the fire had been started, he took off his bloody jacket and wrapped it around Nichi. He sat down next to Nichi and wrapped his arms around her.

Elias: Let's wait here and see if Ken and the others come back.

Sorrow filled his voice.

Elias: Maybe they'll come back quick...

Nichi looked up at him while covering her wound. She smiled and got closer to him. The two stayed in silence for a while. Seconds began to feel like minutes, minutes like hours. Elias saw no signs of the group. He moved his head down, covering it as he began to cry. Nichi was pale, her lips had lost their color as well. Elias heard someone walk up to them and looked up immediately. It was Okami. Nichi's hand dropped from holding her wound.