Chapter 20: The Man Who Tried His Best

Volk: Kit, take this. You should be able to control how powerful a shot is with your fire power.

Kitsune: I don't know how to use this.

Volk grabbed the gun again and showed her the basics.

Volk: Just make sure the safety's off.

Kitsune: A...alright then.

Volk: Let's move forward.

Lykos, Okami, Volk, and Fidi moved forwards with 2 of Skylos' clones. The first wave of monstras were about fifty centaurs. Lykos jumped forward and slammed the ground with his axe which damaged a few of the centaurs in a big area. Okami threw his Star Diamond forward and spun it around, he began to cut down centaurs one by one.

Volk was in front of the two knocking centaurs down with his shield, so the others could finish them off. Fidi kept throwing his spear through the centaurs. Fifteen minutes passed and the next waved had appeared. This time, there were a bunch of mixed monstras.

Kitsune grabbed the gun Volk had given her, she controlled its power by using fire, she took down 24 with just 8 bullets. She summoned a wolf spirit to aid them in the fight and started shooting fire at any monstra that got near her.

Sobaka was floating while sending out bursts of electricity at monstras who got near anyone, once in a while, he made lightning strike certain areas with a lot of grouped up monstras.

Skylos used his clones as much as he could to take out monstras with the sledgehammer Volk gave him. Alepou was behind everyone bubbling anyone who was about to get hit. More and more monstras started to appear, and they started to get overwhelmed.

Fidi jumped back and made his Telum split into smaller spears, he controlled them to fall in a straight line in front of him. Lykos threw his axe all around him to cut down all the monstras. Okami moved back and stretched up to take down the aerial threats.

Volk stomped the ground and created a shockwave that knocked down a big group of the monstras. The group had to move back a bit because there were starting to get overwhelmed even more. Soon after, a lot of monstras ganged up on Lykos and Fidi, Lykos kept trying to move back while defending himself from any attack.

Fidi fell back as he was recalling his spear and a bunch of monstras jumped him. Skylos sent his clones to help out Fidi but once the clones finished off the monstras around him, he saw that Fidi wasn't there. He had teleported behind Alepou, so he could catch a break for a second.

After a few seconds, he ran over to Lykos who seemed to be having trouble defending himself. Alepou bubbled Lykos but a big number of monstras jumped on the bubble and started to break it. Sobaka looked over and sent lightning near the area to kill off a few monstras so Fidi could help.

Fidi threw his spear at the remainder of the monstras on the bubble and took them out. Lykos was okay and Alepou dropped the bubble, they all went back to fighting until a banshee screeched and ran towards Lykos and Fidi. Fidi was able to block the hit but Lykos wasn't. The banshee ripped open Lykos' throat.

He fell back as a bunch of monstras started to jump him again. Alepou bubbled Lykos and knocked away most of the monstras while Fidi took them out. "Shit...if he's gonna live then there's only one choice." Fidi thought to himself as he ran over to Lykos' aid. The group was almost done with the fight. Fidi looked around and saw that the group could handle the rest, he grabbed Lykos up.

Fidi: I'll make sure he lives, please take care of the rest. If I don't come back...assume the worst and make sure to destroy Hel.

Fidi used his teleporting power to go somewhere else. He was in a dimly lit room surrounded by 5 people.

Fidi: I come in peace, I'm here to claim that favor you owed me.

Hel: Fidi, you're actually alive...if the favor is to save the kid then forget it.

Fidi: Please, he didn't do anything. Your vendetta against Accalia doesn't have to include these kids.

Hel: They made it personal when they refused to make a deal with me.

Fidi: You owe me.

Hel: Fine, but only cause of that. Put him on the floor.

Hel stood up from where she was and approached Lykos.

Hel: You better not pull anything on me, you do know you're surrounded. To heal someone I have to give them my grace for a few minutes, I'm sure you know that.

Hel put her hand out and gave Lykos her grace, the wound in his neck started to heal.

Fidi: This isn't a trick I just want the kid to live...maybe you'll finally give them another chance. Especially Volk, you never gave him a chance.

Hel snapped her fingers.

Hel: The relationship between my son and me should not matter to you...Now-

A person was behind Fidi, the person pulled out a War Scythe and pierced Fidi's chest and cut down through his body.

Hel: Since the favor I owed is now complete, I don't need you helping the other kids out.

Fidi fell forward and dropped to the ground, Lykos opened his eyes to see what had happened. His hair started turning black and his clothes changed once again.

———

Back with the group, Okami finished taking out the last of the monstras. They all sat down as the bodies of their enemies disappeared from existence. Alepou was grabbed the necklace that Lykos had given her, she was extremely worried. Skylos sat next to her and tried to comfort her but to no avail. An hour passed and there was still no sign from Fidi.

Volk: Shouldn't he have been back ages ago?

Alepou stood up and walked inside the house and locked herself in a room.

Skylos: Ale...

Volk: Give her a second...

Kitsune: What are we gonna do if they don't come back?

Okami: We're gonna make sure Hel is a name that no one remembers...

Volk: Yeah...

Sobaka: Fidi did say to expect the worst...

Volk: Let's wait a bit longer to see...

3 hours passed and still no sign of Fidi. Kitsune, Skylos, and Sobaka had fallen asleep since they were tired from the fight.

Okami: I think we've waited for enough...

Volk: Yeah...tomorrow we head directly to ground zero...we're gonna kill a goddess. This fucking battle could have been avoided...I don't wanna assume that Fidi and Lykos are gone but...they're not giving me hope.

Okami: Let's just hope that Fidi's just having trouble coming back. I'm sure he took care of Lykos.

Volk: Yeah...let's rest for tonight. It's already really late.

The two of them headed inside and went to sleep. They decided that tomorrow they confronted Hel no matter where she was. Later that night, Volk woke up from a nightmare he was having, he got up and looked around the house and outside it. He found no sign of Fidi and Lykos.

He went to the kitchen and grabbed some water. He accidentally broke the glass he had water in."Can't I catch a fucking break!?" he thought out in his head. Alepou walked into the kitchen and started looking outside. Volk noticed her and approached her, she noticed that her eyes seemed tired.