Chapter 79: Counting Sheep

It was nighttime, the group had spent all day regaining their energy again. The breeze was nice and cold, the night sky was filled with stars. Volk sat in a lawn chair outside the house, he was looking up, letting the breeze hit him. He closed his eyes and began to listen to everything. The sound of the island's native animal filling his ears as everything else was muffled out.

Okami was sitting in a different lawn chair near him. He was talking about an old game he used to play when he heard a noise coming from his left. As he looked over, he saw Volk dead asleep and snoring. Okami stared off into the distance and chuckled.

Tori: Ami.

Okami immediately looked annoyed.

Okami: Haven't missed being called that you know.

Tori: Too bad.

Okami: What do you need T?

Tori: What do you plan to do after all this is done?

Okami: I wanna- Wait. Why do you care?

Tori: Look, you and I have a history. I'm just curious what someone like you would want to do after everything we've gone through.

Okami: But why? We've never actually been close.

Tori: But you and Kit were, and she's a part of me. Well, she is technically me.

Okami: Fine. I wanna properly catch up on everything I missed out on while dead and then find my way from there.

Tori: Hm, interesting.

Okami: ...just that?

Tori: Yeah, that was all.

Okami: You really got my attention just for that?

Tori: Pfft, yeah? That a problem? We have time to kill since we can't really do anything until we have the information we need.

Okami: That was dumb.

Tori: And so are you, but you don't hear me complaining.

The sound of a door closing got the attention of the two. It was Kochev who was alongside Nahe.

Kochev: What did I just walk into?

Tori: A conversation.

Kochev: ...okay?

Kochev and Okami looked at each other, feeling an off vibe.

Okami: Any status updates?

Kochev: Well, we know where your friend might be located. Actually, we are almost certain.

Okami: Oh?

Kochev: Here come the bad news though.

Okami: Oh.

Kochev: It's back in Russia.

Tori: Oh.

Kochev: There's some more good news though.

Okami: Oh?

Kochev: Ken has an ally here who's willing to help us on this journey. They've been keeping track of the group that has your friend for a long time now and their goal sort of aligns with ours.

Tori: Oh?

Kochev: Could you say anything else apart from "Oh."?! You're driving me insane.