Chapter 80: Envoys

Okami quickly rubbed his hand against his jacket, creating a fire on his hand. He threw the fire forward and drew a circle with his index finger in the air. The fire he threw ran through the ground in a circular motion around him and Tori. His eyes seemed serious as a wall of crimson red fire now surrounded the two.

Kochev noticed this, so he grabbed a cloud from the air and used it to cover the house next to them to not endanger anyone inside. He then lifted Nahe and Volk up into the sky.

Tori: This light show again. Is there a problem Ami?

Tori put an axe into the flame, the fire on her side now turning orange. Okami stayed quiet as he ran forward and swung Star Diamond horizontally.

Tori jumped up to evade the swing and kicked the Star Diamond down midair. She stood on the handle of the scythe and swung down at Okami with one of the axes. He stretched his arm behind him, grabbed the ground and dragged himself back by de-stretching his arm.

Tori: So you do learn new tricks.

Okami dispelled Star Diamond and summoned it again in his hands.

Okami: I gotta keep up somehow, right?

Tori and Okami ran towards each other, the two of them clashed weapons. The ground shook slightly as the group inside the house looked through the windows to see what was happening.

Elias: Didn't we come here to be in peace?

Kenos: Yeah...

Elias: ...I'm gonna head out, away from the noise.

Yuzui: You gonna be okay alone?

Elias: This place is secure, right?

Kenos: Should be. No one comes around these areas anymore. Most of the population got wiped out, all that's left are very few lucky people and even then, they don't disturb others. Just don't go disturbing them if you find any.

Elias: Will do.

Elias walked out through the actual front of the house, still hearing Okami and Tori fight. As he walked farther, the sound of small creatures filled the air. One he identified as a cricket pretty quickly. The other he assumed was the island's native animal.

"You are loud. Wow." he thought to himself, hearing multiple of them around him now.

He walked into a more lush area. The trees and grass were overgrowing here, a product of the island's almost abandoned nature.

"It's so dark here... I wish I had a fire power like these two." Elias thought, moving a palm leaf to the side.

He saw light up ahead. More people? The ones Kenos told him not to bother? Since he didn't really have choice considering he couldn't see well, he walked towards the lights. He stumbled upon a large reptile, not too large but bigger than a small dog.

"Ayo, what are you?" he looked at it closely. The reptile began moving its head up and down.

Elias looked at it, so confused. "What the hell? This place has some weird ass animals."

The reptile moved away quickly after noticing Elias. He shrugged and kept moving forward. He immediately noticed the light was closer than before.

"What the-" Elias was about to say. He suddenly felt a hand holding the back of his shirt. He quickly looked back, it was... a boy? A girl? They had short, puffy, black hair and a tired stare. Elias moved away quickly.

Elias: Who are you?

They introduced themselves as Ava.

Ava: Nice to meet you. You almost met a terrible end there stranger.

Elias: Uhh, names Elias. What do you mean?

Ava: Well, those little lights you see at night are envoys of a much bigger monstra. Once you catch one, they lead you back to it where you'd be devoured.

Elias: Oh? Well thanks for saving me I guess.

Ava: No problem. What are you doing out here anyway? You don't seem like you're from around here.

Elias: Hiding, I guess. I'm with a group of people. We came here yesterday to hide from a group.

Ava: Oh? Are you with Ken and Itza?

Elias: Uh, depends...

Ava: I sense distrust in you, friend.

Elias: Yeah, I acquired that skill recently, actually.

Ava: Hmm. Well you sir, seem very untrusting. Just pointing that out.

Elias: Hey, fine by me at this moment.

Ava: Well, just so we're clear. I'm the help he was asking for. Him and Itza... I think you might call him Kochev... Anyways, Ken and Kochev asked for my assistance since we've been trying to fight back the "Order Of Mars" for a long time now.

Elias: Hmm. Well, I'm with them, yes.

Ava: Cool, that means I was on the right track. That also means they must be nearby considering you wouldn't be too far from them alone.

Elias: What if I'm crazy powerful and that's why I'm alone?

Ava: Not likely, your powers are below mine at the moment.

Elias: Huh? You can tell?

Ava: Haha, no. But I guessed it right, you gave me the answer.

Elias: Damn.

Ava: So yeah, that also confirms they're nearby. You give out a lot of info without trying to kid.

Elias: Hmm...

Ava: Don't get upset, it's just a mental tactic to get you to talk. Works on almost everyone.

Elias: Well, I guess I'll keep an eye on that, so I don't spill info.

Ava: Good. And it's also good that you're untrusting, not a lot of people are like that.

Elias: I guess...

Ava: I'm gonna head the way you came, that's where they should be.

Elias: I'll go back with you.

Ava: Sure thing!

As the two began walking back, the light the moon reflected was the only thing lighting up their way. The dense wildlife still surrounded them and the song of the native animal filled the air.

Elias: Hey, sorry if this seems rude, and I know it's a weird question to ask but... What are you? I can't tell if you're a boy or a girl. I don't mean to be offensive.

Ava: Actually, none taken. I-

The trees behind them fell. As they looked back, multiple lights stood completely still. Something got closer behind those lights, revealing them as a monstra's eyes, one of them completely torn up.

Ava: Aye, the fuck you looking at bro?