Chapter 76: Identities

Volk sat on a lawn chair, looking down from the top of that lush mountain. The sun bathed everything in orange, the wind was cool, and everyone was calm.

Okami: You know, I could get used to this place.

Volk: Same here, but we have a goal in mind.

Okami: Yeah... but hey, once we're done with that, we can come back here.

The sound of a door opening made them look back, Kenos stepped out of the house.

Kenos: I don't think I'd live here forever, dude. The power on this island is seriously a problem.

Okami: Eh, you'll get used to it.

Kenos: Yeah, everything's fine till you're showering at night, and then you're left in a dark room with cold water.

Okami: Huh...

From the distance, Volk noticed a figure walking through the sky.

Volk: Hey, that has to be him. Unless there's another god that does that.

Kenos: There are, but I know that's him. He walks right next to the clouds.

Volk: So, he walks across the world in the sky but only while next to clouds?

Kenos: Yeah, he says he finds them comfortable.

Okami: He's near at least, no more waiting.

Volk: Well, a bit more waiting, he's still just walking.

Kenos grabbed the air, he pulled back his hand. Kochev appeared in front of them.

Kochev: Ken...

Volk: Never mind, no more waiting.

Kenos' hand was letting out steam, Vis Defectus was getting to him again.

Kochev: I'm not as easy to pull as someone else, Ken. You should know this.

Okami: What does that mean?

Kochev: That power he uses to make portals and transport places uses a shortcut between realms to work. When he pulls people in like that, he also has to take into account the amount of power that person has. Not only does he pull me through that shortcut, he's very careful to pull my soul as well.

Volk: And your soul has your powers.

Kochev: Yeah. That means he's moving all that power as well.

Okami: Wouldn't you have to be moving all of that through a portal as well.

Kenos: Not so much. When I pull someone, I'm taking them away from a space in time immediately. With a portal, you move freely through a space in time, making it much smoother on the power usage.

Volk: Why did you even shift him here, we could have waited a bit.

Kenos: Yeah, but the sooner he gets here, the sooner we can move.

Kochev: Why so hasty?

Kenos: Tori has "The Prototype".

Kochev: Oh. You could have sent a text saying that.

Kochev's phone began to ring repeatedly.

Kenos: Messages weren't being sent. I'm guessing you had no signal until now.

Kochev: Right. I'll explain that later, let me see how she's holding up.

Everyone walked inside, Kochev waved hi at everyone who was in the living room while passing by. They entered the room where Tori was in. She was sleeping, but breathing heavily. He walked next to her and put his hand on her forehead.

Kochev: Hmm...

He pulled his hand back, doing a weird motion. A translucent orange mist went into his hand.

Kochev: Taking into consideration that she uses Sol energy, this temperature is still too hot. I balanced it out a bit, so she has a smoother time, but she has to deal with this on her own.

Tori opened her eyes, she noticed Kochev standing next to her immediately.

Tori: Get away from me.

Kochev: Ah, so you're still holding a grudge.

Tori: Fuck off.

Kochev: So, what's the deal with you? Your hair and eye color changes, and so do your clothes? Never seen someone like you.

Kenos: Oh boy, here we go.

Nahe: It's dissociative identity disorder, I don't know how comfortable everyone is talking about something like that... but I can keep explaining.

Nahe had walked into the room in silence.

Kochev: Oh, that... I've heard of people like that. Never seen one till now.

Nahe: Surprised you don't know Mr. God.

Kochev: I'm not all-knowing. That job is for our savior.

Volk: I'd like to know a bit more about it.

Volk looked over at Tori, as if asking permission.

Tori: I'm fine with it, thanks for asking though.

Volk: Well... what exactly is it? I know that when I talked to Argos, it was a completely different person, Lykos was not there at all. Same with Tori and Kitsune.

Nahe: Uhh. I can't personally speak on it. From what I know, it's caused by past trauma in childhood. People like Ly and Kit have different identities, Argos and Tori. It's the brain's way of protecting its conscious self. At least, that's my understanding.

Volk: Can you always talk to your other selves in your head?

Tori: In my case, not always... Kit is currently not here.

Kochev: What I find weird is how your colors change. Theoretically, it should be a change in person which is not physical at all.

Tori: We don't really know how it works, either. Never really bothered to ask anyone.

Nahe: From things I've seen, it has to do with the same thing you guys were talking about outside. The soul and its powers. You may have the same soul, but that mental switch activates something which changes physical appearance, even clothing. Maybe it has to do with the personality of said identity.

Tori: You have our memories, that should shine some light on this.

Nahe: I see both of your perspectives. I saw the moments you and Argos were born.

Nahe looked down and to the side.

Nahe: I... I don't think that really helps.

Volk: So...can I ask how you guys were brought here?

Tori: Well, I already explained mine... What about Argos? He never mentioned it to me either.

Nahe: ...

Volk: If it's too much then-

Nahe: No, I'm just not sure if I should speak about someone's past like that. Especially if they're not here.

Elias walked up behind Nahe.

Elias: I was there, I feel as though I can say the things from my point of view.

Nahe: ...Yeah.