16

"Wake up." Henry shouted. Before I could open my eyes, a pillow landed on my face.

"This is abuse." I groaned. For the past week I hadn't woken up before 9am. Emma an I had out girls day last Thursday, and today was Monday. Unfortunately, Monday meant school.

I had been to quite a few different schools during my life. The only one I had actually liked was the school I spent pre school in, and that was only because all we did was paint and play with Legos. Part of me wanted to he angry at Emna for enrolling me into school, but I couldn't be angry. She was the first person to actually want what's best for me. Social workers and foster parents in the past had said that they wanted the best for me, but that was their job. They were being paid to care for me; Emma wasn't.

I wore my new dark khaki skinny jeans with a black vest top. The only shoes I had were my converse, so I was lucky that they went with every outfit I owned. I didn't know if it was going to be colder or warmer than the day before, so I found my maroon cardigan to keep me warm.

For my makeup, I just did the usual routine. Concealer, foundation, a bit of contour, eyebrow gel, and winged eyeliner. I hurriedly rubbed some lip balm into my lips, not realising it was tinted red. I didn't mind, though. The colour was pretty.

I brushed my hair and braided a small section of hair on each side, framing my face. There was only a very small mirror in the nursery I was staying in, so I tried my best to see if I looked okay before leaving the room.

"Happy Monday." Emma yawned as she entered the kitchen. Henry and I had been up earlier than her and were already eating toast in the kitchen.

"Monday isn't a happy day." I corrected her.

"You should love school. School is cool!" A huge, sarcastic grin was pasted onto Emma's face and she was posing with her things up. Her blue stripey pyjamas and her odd sock combination made her look even more crazy.

"If it's so cool, you can go for me." I smiled sweetly.

"I'm too busy doing grown up things, like helping Da-vid." Emma insisted. She pronounced David as 'dah-vid' instead of 'day-vid', but we all pretended we didn't realise.

"School's not actually that bad." Henry told me, between mouthfuls of toast.

"I hope you're right." I sighed. "Is there a school bus or do we walk or what?"

"There's a bus that comes in..." Henry paused to check his watch. "...about 3 minutes. Are you ready?"

"I just need to quickley go to the toilet, and then I'm good." I answered, standing up from the table and pushing my chair in.

I ran up the stairs and used the bathroom. When I was back downstairs I grabbed my bag. It wasn't my bad, as my rucksack had all of my stuff in. Emma had found a few bags in her closet let me borrow whichever one I wanted. After what felt like a lifetime of me being indicisive, the bag I picked was a navy blue satchel with long straps. It was the perfect size to for a school books and folders, and was easy to carry around on my shoulder.

"Bye mom." Henry called as he opened the door. Emma was buttering some toast for herself as we left.

"Bye Emma." I smiled. I think from the small smile she got the message that I was actually grateful for her enrolling me into school.

Once we got to the little high school, Henry directed me to the office before going to his class. As none of me records were sent from my last school, I spent the majority of the day doing tests so that they could assess me. By lunchtime, I was sick of seeing tests.

The school was very small for a high school. They only sold sandwiches and salads in the cafeteria, but they gave you to option to buy your lunch from the town. Henry found me wandering around the hall and told me that we were going to go to grannies for our lunch. Slighly demanding, but it wasn't like I as going to sit alone munching an ugly school salad for the next hour.