57

It was Friday and school had finished an hour before. A few days prior, I had brought up a possible sleepover with Emma. As my mother was still trying she hardest to make up for lost time, she was on board with the idea and was determined to make this sleepover mirror those in movies. Emma saw pillow fights and nail painting. I saw Netflix and lounging around on inflatable beds, but I didn't want to crush Emma's dreams.

"Look at these fuzzy socks I bought for you all!" Emma pulled out four pairs of red and white striped socks. They resembled fluffy candy canes.

"You don't need to do all of this, you know." I laughed, as Emma was now excitedly shaking the socks around.

"I'm becoming more and more like my mother every day." Emma rolled her eyes, but she didn't mean it in a bad way.

"Your hair's too long." I pointed out.

"I should cut it all off." Emma joked.

"Please don't, love." Killian entered the room.

"Would you still love me if my hair was short?" Emma asked, pulling her hair up and holding it all on the top of her head, trying to resemble Mary Margaret's haircut and falling.

"You know, I'm not too sure. What do you think, Phoebe?" Killian asks, his chin resting on her hook in a thoughtful expression.

"I suppose we could tolerate it." I suggested.

"Aye," Killian agreed. "The term 'love' may be a little strong, but we wouldn't disown you."

"Thanks a lot." Emma laughed. At eight-years-old my dream was to become the next Meryl Streep, but unfortunately I had no acting talent and could hardly tell a lie with a straight face.

• • •

"What time is it?" Emma asked, anxiously waiting for my friends to arrive for the sleepover. With Henry at Regina's, Emma was making a big fuss over this event. I told Robin, Violet, and Melody to be here at around six-is.

"6:03." I answered.

"What about now?" Emma asked again.

"Mom, it's still 6:03." I laughed. "You do realise you look crazy, waiting at the window, don't you? You're way too excited."

"You know exactly why I'm excited." Emma sang in a mother-knows-best sort of way.

"They're here." I called before going to the front door to let people in and out of the rain. It was 6:15 when everyone arrived, and Emma had gone off to see what Killian was up to at this point.

"Let them in, then." Emma shouted from upstairs, as if I was going to let them stand there and watch them from the window.

Before I knew it, my friends and a unnecessarily large pile of bags were in my bedroom. If this was a year ago, the overnight bags would have held more things than I owned.

"Thank you for letting us stay, Mrs Jones." Melody said to Emma, who was now hovering around the doorway. Violet and Robin knew Emma pretty well and it was strange hearing someone call Emma 'Mrs Jones'.

"Oh, you can just call me Emma." My mother laughed lightly. She had never been one for uneccasary formalities. How many sheriffs have you seen who wear red leather jackets to work?

"So, do you girls want to put your toothbrushes in the bathroom? I think that's what happens at sleepovers." Emma suggested, as new as I was to the occasion.

Robin showed everyone where the bathroom was, not that it was very hard to find.

"Mrs Jones." I mocked while Emma and I had a moment with just the two of us.