29

Phoebe and Henry were at school and it was my day off, so I decided to go and see my mom. We were best friends before we even knew we were related, so I loved spending time with her.

"I made cookies. They're nowhere near as good as the ones you made last month, but they're still delicious. Want one?" Mary Margaret asked in her usual jolly tone. She was stood in the kitchen and I was slouched on a stool opposite.

"I'm good." I smiled politely. Cookies were the last thing I felt like eating.

"If you're going on one of those ridiculous diets, you can think again. You have a wonderful figure and one cookie isn't going to give you heart disease." My mother lectured me.

"It's not that." I interrupted. "I just don't feel like cookies right now."

"Turning down warm cookies is not like the Emma I know. You sound like you're pregnant." Mary Margaret joked.

I didn't comment.

"Emma?" Mary Margaret said, anxious about my silence.

"Of course I'm not, that would be impossible." I joined in and laughed, hoping that my mother wouldn't pick up on how uneasy my laugh was.

"Emma Ruth Jones, you're lying to me." Mary Margaret talked to me like I was a child with her hands on her hips.

"I never knew my middle name was Ruth. Why has nobody ever told me this?" I asked.

"Ruth is your grandmother's name, but you're changing the subject. Confess!" My mom had never been one to give up when she had her mind set on something.

"If you haven't already noticed, Killian isn't living with me at the moment, so it would be impossible." I pointed out.

"We both know that being seperated means absolutely nothing." Mary Margaret said in a sing-song voice, as if that would make the situation less awkward.

"Mom!" I shouted, still avoiding eye contact with her. "You can't just make these assumptions because I said I didn't want a cookie."

"You were also sick last week, which could have been morning sickness." Mary Margeret sounded like she was very proud of her detective skills. Good effort, mom. "And you're all moody and defensive." She added.

"It was just a bug or something. I've been pregnant twice, I know what morning sickness is." I rolled my eyes at my mother, who I could see wasn't going to quieten down anytime soon. I was thankful that David and Neal were both out.

"Why won't you tell me? I told you about the Whale incident." Mary Margaret pleaded in a whiny voice.

"That was before I knew you were my mother. You were cursed, remember?" I argued.

"Unfortunately." Mary Margaret bit into another cookie, obviously embarrassed. She clearly didn't like it when she got a taste of her own medicine.

I thought that maybe not saying anything else would make my mother lay off interrogating me, but then I realised this is Snow White we're talking about. Like I said, she never gives up.

"Emma, did you sleep with Killian?" Mary Margaret asked, getting straight to the point. She was slighly intimidating, but that was probably just because I was nervous.

"Yes, are you happy now?" I snapped. I spoke quickly, wanting to get the moment over with as fast as possible. Mary Margaret and I had talked about thinks like this before, but that was when we were best friends. Talking to your mother was different. "But I'm not pregnant." I added.

"You know very well from experience that there is always a chance of certain things not working." Mary Margaret used her sing-song tone again. Was this now she talked to birds back when she lived in the enchanted forest?

"I'm not an idiot." I told my mother. She may be older, not that she looked it, but that didn't mean she was any wiser.

"I know." She nodded. "You just say some silly things some times."

"I love you." I said, lightening the mood. "Was that too silly for you, Queen Snow?"

"No it wasn't, and I love you too." She walked around the kitchen island, sliding her hand on the working tops until she was stood behind where I was sitting. She then wrapped her arms around my neck.

"I worry about you, you know?" Mary Margaret said, her head resting on my shoulder.

"You shoudn't. I'm thirty-four." I reminded her.

"I know that, but you're still my little princess." Mary Margeret kissed the top of my head before walking towards the bathroom.

"That was very sappy." I called to my mother as she walked away.

"Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine." She replied. She turned her head around and pulled a tongue in an effort to make me laugh.

While Mary Margaret was in the bathroom I got up and made myself a glass of water. What if I was pregnant?

"Here you are, Emma." Mary Margaret emerged from the bathroom and handed me boxes of pregnancy tests.

"Do you mind me asking why you have a stash of pregnancy tests in your bathroom?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Before Neal was born me and David were trying, so we just bought a whole box of tests online." Mary Margaret explained, her smile still hadn't left.

"Nice." I replied, although the images that had suddenly formed in my head weren't exactly what you'd call nice.

"Take one." Mary Margaret ordered.

"No." I replied, looking down at my feet.

"It's just peeing on a little stick, you've done it before." Mary Margaret said, telling me information I already knew.

"I don't need to pee." I argued.

"Have a drink then." Mary Margaret suggested.

"I'm not thirsty." My excuses were becoming increasingly worse.

There was a somewhat awkward pause where Mary Margaret gave me the 'Mother Knows Best' look and I pretended not to notice her tilted head and raised eyebrows.

"Is that the time? I have to go." I glanced at my wrist, even though I hadn't worn a watch since being with Neal. I needed some sort of excuse to get some peace from my clingy mother.

"Wait!" Mary Margaret called as I was making my way for the door.

"What." I turned around to face my mother.

"This is theoretical, but if you were pregnant, how far along would you be, theoretically?" I couldn't help but smile at my mother's awkwardness. She always went out of her way to brighten my mood. That's just the sort of person Snow White was.

"A month, maybe." I said, quickly counting the weeks and events since the ship incident. "But this is theoretical."

"I better start knitting." She said enthustically, forcing me to roll my eyes.

I gave a little wave in the smiling Mary Margaret's direction before closing the apartment door behind me. I had been in a hurry to leave, but 75% of me wanted to reopen the door and give my mom a goodbye hug. She was my best friend, after all, and I missed her already. Luckily, the other 25% took me down the stairs and into my little yellow car. If I had turned back to my mother's apartment, the questions and comments would have never stopped.