40

"It feels so weird not being able to use magic outside of Storybrooke." Emma said as she flexed her hands. We had stopped at a fast food cafe on the way to Boston to stretch our legs. According to Emma, we only had about twenty-minutes before we reached the courthouse.

"I don't have magic either, but I don't use mine anyway." I added before shoving a few fries into my mouth.

"Talking about your magic, how are those lessons with Regina going?" Emma asked.

"Well, I can mostly control it now, but I can't really do much." I shrugged. "I just want to be able to make food appear."

"I can't argue with that." Emma laughed before climbing back into the diver's seat. We had been leaning against the side of the car, eating our junk food, but now it was time to set off again.

For the remainder of the journey I listened to some of Emma's stories with the radio playing in the background. She decided to tell me about how her and Killian met, and I don't think I've ever laughed harder in my life. It wasn't a hilarious story, but if you imagine your parents sword fighting and know that it actually happened, you'd probably laugh too. Emma also repeated some of the things Killian said with an exceptionally bad Irish accent and made me promise not to tell him. I agreed, but I don't think Emma would be completely distraught if I let it slip.

"Here we are." Emma said, letting her words trail as she focuses on parking the yellow Volkswagen. "Here we are." She repeated in a more cheerful and sure tone.

I followed Emma into the court house. She had been here before, so knew where she was going. It was around 5pm and the place was practically empty. I didn't know whether it was normal for it not to be busy, but I wasn't complaining. That last thing I wanted to do was wait in a long line after a long car journey.

Once we were approached by a man on the other side of the counter, Emma explained what documents she needed and why, "here's my ID, passport, drivers licence, birth certificate." Emma pulled out anything that could help from her bag. She was clearly a lot more prepared than the majority of people would be, and I guessed she's gone through a similar process in the past.

We stood silently for the short amount of time it took the tall bald man to return with a file of papers. Emma thanked him before quickly flipping through the pages to look for anything relevant.

"Are Phoebe Jones' files here?" Emma asked the man after she had scanned every page of her own file.

"Other people's files are confidential." He reminded Emma, who already knew this.

"I'm Phoebe Jones." I told him.

"Any ID?" The man asked.

"I think I have a bus pass-"

"Phoebe, I think I've got your birth certificate somewhere here." Emma interrupted, rummaging through the binder she had in her shoulder bag. "Here." She careful slid the document out if the plastic cover and placed it on the desk.

"I'll have a look." The man nodded, turning his back towards us and walking to the shelves of notes.

I had never seen my real birth certificate before, so I fixed my eyes on the paper. Most of the things written on it I already knew, but it was still important to me. Three months ago, I could only dream about a family who cared. Now, I had all that and more.

Once the man returned for the second time with my files, Emma seemed to look surprised. If I had ever lived in Boston, I didn't remember it, so I hadn't expected anything on my being here.

"Here, see. It says that I'm your legal guardian." Emma pointed. I was going to ask why Killian wasn't mentioned, then I realised that being a pirate from another realm meant he probably didn't have any evidence of actually existing in our world. "Can I take these with me?"