58

I woke up with a sour taste in my mouth and gritty texture to my teeth, which could only be due to the excessive amount of junk food I had eaten the night before.

"Hey." Violet rolled over as gracefully as she could on her inflatable mattress once she realised I was awake.

"How long have you been up?" I quietly asked. I had no idea what the time was, and I didn't want to be responsible for prematurely waking Robin and Mel up.

"Fifteen minutes, maybe. Not long at all." Violet assured me.

I reached for my bedside table and picked up my phone. The lock screen read 10:47.

"I'm going to wake them up." I announced, sitting myself up with my elbows.

"Oh, please don't, Phoebe. They look so peaceful." Violet pleased.

"I love you, but you're too kind." I told her, and she could really argue with me. I had moved on to pushing up Robin's top eyelid with my index finger. Nothing.

"I wonder what happens when I do this," I said to myself, poking her nose. "Boop." And still nothing. There was no waking her.

"Looks like I woke up just in time." Melody said, rubbing her eyes. I was going to try and force Violet to join in when it came to waking Melody up, but it was too late.

"I tried to stop her." Violet insisted. It was an unspoken fact that Violet was the 'mom friend' of our little group. She gave the best advice, she had a boyfriend, she was always kind to everyone. The list goes on.

"Robin knows her way around, anyway. Should we go and find some breakfast?" I suggested, receiving a nod from both of my conscious friends.

"Good afternoon." Killian nodded in my direction as we reached the bottom of the stairs.

"It's only 11am." I corrected him.

"Well, your mother's had me up at the crack of dawn with that talking phone of hers." Killian complained. "It was your grandmother calling about something or other. Emma went out, but she should be back soon."

"Oh, okay," I nodded. "I'm going to make us some breakfast."

"Let me lend a hand." Killian offered, following into the kitchen.

Emma had left some pop tarts with a little note instructing Killian on how to toast them, despite the fact the instructions were written on the side of the box. Henry and I didn't bother toasting ours, anyway. Too much hastle.

Killian ended up sitting with us in the kitchen. For a man who spent years at sea away from most civilisation, he got bored easily when he was alone.

"Okay, I see you're point, but I still think mermaids are superior. We literally lure sailors to their death." Melody argued. What had previously been a casual conversation between my friend and dad had become a heated debate. Killian seemed to be losing to a 15-year-old.

"Aye, but what do you have to defend yourself? Your shiny tail?" Killian retorted. "We have cutlasses, swords, handy hooks for hands."

"But which one of us is going to survive an hour 20 feet underwater? I'm guessing you'll be shark bait by then." Mel pointed out.

"What have I just walked into?" I twisted in my chair to face Emma, who had dropped her bag in the doorway with a confused expression.

"They're just discussing whether pirates or mermaids are superior. Casual topics, you know." Robin answered, the wittiness she inherited from her mother showing.

At around midday the four of us went back upstairs to get dressed and do our makeup. We walked around the town aimlessly for a few hours, stopping for one of Granny's milkshakes for a break during our stroll. It was 3pm when we split up. Melody had to be home, Violet had homework, and Robin wanted to spend some time with Zelena. I headed home, assuming there would be something remotely interesting going on in the Swan-Jones household. I was a few steps from the house when I felt my phone rumble from my back pocket of my blue jeans.

"So, about this photography project." I read the text in my head. It was from Luke.

Our photography project had completely slipped my mind. The two of us had been paired to complete a project based on different lightings. I had been hoping I was paired with Luke. Another possible partner was Gretal, and I had seen how protective she was over her stationary. With a camera in the mix, I probably wouldn't get to take a single photo.

"We should probably start it soon." I texted back.

"Outside your house in half an hour?" I got a reply seconds later. I liked a person who didn't spent a year and a half to reply to a simple text.

"Okay." I typed, slower than usual, before hitting send.