When Nothing Else Matters!

"How's my mom?" Alora asked once she saw the nurse approaching.

"She's going to be fine. It was touch and go, but she will be alright."

Alora sighed out of relief. "And my brother?"

"Come with me." Alora followed the nurse up to the NICU.

She stood at the window, watching as a nurse was changing his diaper.

"They said you can go In there, you just have to scrub up first."

Alora did what she was told and followed the nurse in. She was in shock, seeing her brother. He was so horrifyingly tiny and it scared her.

"How much does he weigh?" She asked.

"1lb 10oz" the nurse replied. Alora was lost for words. His tiny body was sort of translucent, he currently was surrounded by some sort of bedding that had a strap across him. He had something to protect his eyes. A breathing tube was coming out of him, along with many other wires. He looked so helpless. Alora took a seat next to incubator, not taking her eyes off of him.

"You can touch him if you want," the nurse said. She laughed at Alora's expression. "Don't worry, he won't break."

Alora slowly stroked the baby's arm with her finger. "Hey, brother," she whispered. "I'm one of your big sister's, momma will be here soon."

"Is it alright if I take a picture to show my mom?" Alora asked

"Sure, just make sure the flash is off."

Alora quickly snapped a picture. "Ok, I'm going to go see mom little guy. I'll be back," she stroked his arm one last time before having the nurse take her to her mother.

"Hey mom," Alora greeted as she took a seat. She took her mother's hand in hers. It was a few hours later when Robert arrived, having caught a private flight.

"Hey, dad" Alora greeted as she met him in the lobby. She wrapped her arms around him, loving being in his embrace.

"How are they?" Rob asked

"Mom's still unconscious and the baby is hanging on." She pulled her phone out and showed Rob the picture she had taken of the baby.

"He's so tiny," Rob said.

"I know, I spent a little time with him as they got mom settled."

"I can't thank you enough Alora, for being there when I wasn't."

"Its ok, she's my mom and do not blame her for this even though it is sort of her fault."

"Your mom hasn't been doing well and no I don't blame her. If anything, I blame your sister."

"Speaking of, she's the one that brought us here."

Rob raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Is she still here?"

Alora laughed. "No, the fucker left after she dropped us off as we were in surgery. Anyway, why don't you go see your son for a little bit. I'll stay with mom and we can switch in a little bit alright?"

Rob pulled her in for another hug. "Sounds good hun, love you"

"Love you too dad NICU room 3 for the baby and room 212 in the ICU for mom."

The two of them parted ways. The nurse had Rob scrub up before taking him into the room. He was unprepared to just how tiny his son was. The picture really didn't do justice. Slowly he took a seat next to the incubator and just stared at him. The monitor next to the isolate went off, indicating the baby had stopped breathing. He was still trying to process every everything as a nurse came in and after a minute or two, the monitor went back to normal.