End of the road

2 years later

These past few days had been a whirlwind. Eliana had graduated high school, Alora was still Alora and Kace was sick. It was mild at the moment but it could turn ugly fast.

Today they were just going to lounge around the house. Eliana was looking into collages in her room while alora was watching a movie in the living room. It was a beautiful day and Kristen was watching Robert get the pool set up for the summer from the sliding glass door.

She was amazed at how long they had been in this house. This was the house they had brought Eliana home too when she was born. She also couldn't believe how old she was. Here she was 40 years old with a would have been 21 year old, a 18 year old, a 14 year old and 2 year old

Kristen was in the laundry room, throwing a load in a little while later when her phone rang.

"Hey Alise" Kristen greeted

"Kristen, you need to come down to the hospital." Kristen gripped the countertop, her heart stopping.

"Why what's wrong?"

"He has gotten worse" was all she said and that was all that needed to be said.

"We will be right there" Kristen stuttered. She hung up the phone and went to find Robert.

"Robert we need to go to the hospital....." Kristen choked out, tears welling in her eyes.

"Why? Are you hurt?"

"No, it's Kace." That's all she had to say and the look in her eyes to tell him this wasn't good.

Arriving at the hospital they found Alise in the waiting room. "What happened?" Kristen asked as she went over to her.

"I couldn't get his heart rate to come up. He had been off all night from when I talked to you earlier. He got worse so fast."

"Yeah, that's Kace for you" Kristen mumbled.

"They sent me out here to wait since I'm not technically family.."

"Hey, you are in my book" Kristen said.

"I'm going to grab a coffee" Rob said. "Do you guys want some?"

"No I'm fine" alise said.

"I'll take decaf." Kristen took a seat shoving her keys into her pocket. She felt like She had been in this emergency room more times than she could count.

"Here you go sweetheart" Rob said as he sat down.

30 minutes later Kristen's patience was wearing thin. She needed to know how Kace was and she wanted answers now.

"Excuse me, can someone around here tell me how the fuck my son is doing?"

"What's the name?"

"Kace Pattinson"

"And what is your relationship to the patient?"

Kristen just looked at her..."um I'm his mother, hence why I said my son."

Kristen watched as the nurse typed something into the computer. "It looks like he's being sent for more testing. Take a seat and the doctor will be out."

Kristen sighed but headed back to her seat as Rob started rubbing her back. It was almost another hour before the doctor came out.

"How is he?" Kristen asked.

"It's not looking good. He has severe pneumonia that has caused one of his lungs to collapse. Right now the ventilator is doing all the breathing for him and is maxed out. It will be a miracle if he pulls through."

Kristen and Rob just looked at each other. Too stunned to say anything.

"Now I know this must be hard and before I ask this I need to ask. Who has medical making decisions and who are the bio parents?"

"We do" Kristen spoke up. "Rob and I are his biological parents."

"Fair enough. Take a seat."

Kristen slowly sat down, clutching to Robert.

"Alright so there are some decisions that need to be made. I have looked back into his record and given the pneumonia now. His chances do not look good. What I wanted to ask you was would you guys be willing to sign a DNR?"

"A what?" Kristen asked.

"Do not resuscitate. Meaning if his heart were to stop and he stopped breathing, we would not try and save him."

Kristen just looked at Robert, tears coming to her eyes. How does one make this kind of decision?