Chapter 2: Distant

Haechan runs through the doorm. He is in a hurry. He grabs his shoes and wears them. On his way to his jacket he bumps in a chest.

"Oh sorry" Haechan mumbles and looks up.

Mark looks at him with an annoyed face. "It's okay. But why the hurry?"

"Oh. I wanted to tell you, but you weren't home, hyung. Jaemin is back. He just arrived at the Dream dorm and texted me to go there with you. But like I said, you weren't here, so I planned to go alone. Sorry, I just have missed Jaemin so much.", Haechan says and takes a step back. He starts to feel uncomfortable, because Mark still looks at him with this annoyed look.

"Oh. But now I am here."

"Y-Yeah. So do you want to come with me?", Haechan asks and looks cautiously in Mark's eyes.

"You can go first. I will follow in a few minutes.", Mark offered, still with a grumpy look.

"I-I can wait, if you want", Haechan suggests.

Mark hesitates. A few seconds pass, before he answers a simple "Okay", and leaves to his room to get ready.

Since their summer fight last year, a lot of things have changed between them. Not just the fact that they aren't roomates anymore, but also in their dynamics.
When they finally made up, Mark and Haechan got along really well again. They could laugh, made jokes and had a lot of fun.
But since a few weeks Mark became distant. And Haechan can't explain, why Mark became like that.

After a few minutes Mark leaves his room and went past Haechan to the door. When he opens it, he looks at Haechan and raises a brow. "Are you coming? A second ago you couldn't wait to finally get there."

Haechan gets ripped out of his thoughts and looks at Mark with wide eyes. "Eh-eh y-yeah. Of course. I'm comming." He clears his throat and hurries to the door.

On their way to the Dream dorm they don't talk much. Haechan thinks it is awfully quiet. But he doesn't know, what to say to break the silence.

Suddenly a girl comes running to them. "Aren't you Mark and Haechan from NCT?", she screams more than saying.

"Yes", Mark answers and Haechan sees him smiling for the first time this evening.

"That is so cool. Bye.", the girl says and leaves them waving.

Mark and Haechan are dumbfounded. The girl left just as fast as she came.

Haechan starts laughing. "What was that?"

Mark joins him, "I have no idea".

They haven't laughed so much since a lot of days and Haechan starts to feel a lot better.

He doesn't even realize the little stone in front of his feet, which leads to him tripping over it and almost falling.

But when Haechan realizes, that he isn't lying on the floor, but instead in someone's arms, he looks up to see Mark staring at him with wide eyes.

There is only a few inches between their faces.

Suddenly Mark pushes Haechan rather harshly, which causes him to fall on the floor after all.

When Mark realizes, what he has done, he hurries to Haechan's side and helps him standing up.

"What was that, hyung?", Haechan screams at him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to."

"Then why have you done it?", Haechan says while rubbing his ass to ease the pain.

"I-I don't know.", Mark doesn't know what to say. He never meant to hurt Haechan.

"Why are you so....so distant these days? Have I done something wrong? If yes, you need to tell me, instead being a total asshole to me.", Haechan starts to get really frustrated.

"No, no, you haven't done anything, it's just....", Mark still is at a loss for words.

"I can understand, that you still want me to call you Hyung, and I can deal with it, but these days you are treating me, like you hate me, and I can't have that.", Haechan is so close to let a tear slip past his eyes.

"No, no I don't hate you, Haechan.", Mark tries to say something to calm him down, tries to explain it to him, but Haechan wouldn't let him. He is to much captured in his rage and sadness.

"I know you hate skinship, but there are other ways to show affection to someone. And all you do to me is showing me your cold shoulder. You could be just honest, and tell me, that you want me to stay away from you, instead on putting on a show."

Haechan turns around and takes fast steps to the Dream dorm. When he looks longer at Mark, he knows he will cry.

Mark runs after him and grabs his wrist, turning Haechan around.

"Haechan, wait!"

"No, you are right. I should have gone without you to the others. See you there.", Haechan frees his wrist and takes fast steps.

Mark is frozen. Has he really fucked up this much?
He looks up and sees that Haechan is already really close to the dorm.
He slowly starts to walk after him, wanting to give Haechan the space, he thinks, he needs right now.

But boy, was he wrong. Haechan doesn't want space. He wants his Mark back.